11. And when it is said to them, “Do not make trouble on earth,” they say, “We are only reformers.”
12. In fact, they are the troublemakers, but they are not aware.
13. And when it is said to them, “Believe as the people have believed,” they say, “Shall we believe as the fools have believed?” In fact, it is they who are the fools, but they do not know.
14. And when they come across those who believe, they say, “We believe”; but when they are alone with their devils, they say, “We are with you; we were only ridiculing.”
15. It is God who ridicules them, and leaves them bewildered in their transgression.
16. Those are they who have bartered error for guidance; but their trade does not profit them, and they are not guided.
17. Their likeness is that of a person who kindled a fire; when it illuminated all around him, God took away their light, and left them in darkness, unable to see.
18. Deaf, dumb, blind. They will not return.
19. Or like a cloudburst from the sky, in which is darkness, and thunder, and lightning. They press their fingers into their ears from the thunderbolts, in fear of death. But God surrounds the disbelievers.
20. The lightning almost snatches their sight away. Whenever it illuminates for them, they walk in it; but when it grows dark over them, they stand still. Had God willed, He could have taken away their hearing and their sight. God is capable of everything.
This is now coming out very forcefully from Gabriel to Muhammad showing just how unjust these men of Mecca have become, as well as religious leaders from all other nations that have used religions as a means of control. So this is where Muhammad is given a vision of what these elite men in the social structure say to each other. They act as friends and do favors for each other, but they surely do not believe in God. They have taken religion from it’s pure form from spiritual truth and have divided it into sects of control and wealth.
As we know Jesus flipped the tables of the pharisees in the temple, and this is God once again letting Muhammad know the deception has become too much. They lie saying they are creating peace and reformation when they are really creating chaos and destruction due to wars, taxing, and even killing without justice. At this point-God is warning Muhammad these jealous men who are blind to the power and beauty of God themselves, will just mock you when you talk about Islam. Be prepared, Gabriel is saying to Muhammad.
There is also a soothing to Muhammad letting him know that as he is mocked, and possibly even killed for the truth, these men will have a punishment for all the evil they caused through manipulation on religion, about 600 years later after Jesus.