110. And perform the prayer, and give alms. Whatever good you forward for yourselves, you will find it with God. God is Seeing of everything you do.
111. And they say, “None will enter Heaven unless he is a Jew or a Christian.” These are their wishes. Say, “Produce your proof, if you are truthful.”
112. In fact, whoever submits himself to God, and is a doer of good, will have his reward with his Lord-they have nothing to fear, nor shall they grieve.
113. The Jews say, “The Christians are not based on anything;” and the Christians say, “The Jews are not based on anything.” Yet they both read the Scripture. Similarly, the ignorant said the same thing. God will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection regarding their differences.
114. Who is more unjust than him who forbids the remembrance of God’s name in places of worship, and contributes to their ruin? These ought not to enter them except in fear. For them is disgrace in this world, and for them is a terrible punishment in the Hereafter.
115. To God belong the East and the West. Whichever way you turn, there is God’s presence. God is Omnipresent and Omniscient.
116. And they say, “God has begotten a son.” Be He glorified. Rather, His is everything in the heavens and the earth; all are obedient to Him.
117. Originator of the heavens and the earth. Whenever He decrees a thing, He says to it, “Be,” and it becomes.
118. Those who do not know say, “If only God would speak to us, or a sign would come to us.” Thus said those who were before them. Their hearts are alike. We have made the signs clear for people who are certain.
119. We have sent you with the truth-bringing good news, and giving warnings. You will not be questioned about the inmates of Hell.
120. The Jews and the Christians will not approve of you, unless you follow their creed. Say, “God’s guidance is the guidance.” Should you follow their desires, after the knowledge that has come to you, you will have in God neither guardian nor helper.
Now Muhammad, an isolated desert man, is told about what is happening all over the Middle East and Rome. He is being explained that the idea of Heaven “monopoly” has taken hold of both Jews and Christians. They are at each other’s throats telling each other that only their way to Heaven is correct. Now here is how I became a revert to Islam within these verses are something I fully believe. It is not your faith that allows you into the Book of Life, it is the deeds you do. It’s about being positive and negative energy for the world. What choice you make, seals your path you take.
Gabriel is letting Muhammad know that he will come across opposition from leaders of these religions that want their religion to be the only one with the truth. So there is warning here to Muhammad, to say that this book is good news for good people, and will be a warning for the ones creating mischief on earth through religion and politics.
The verses about asking proof from their own texts with the evidence that the truth has only been given to Jews, and Christians is very important because if you look at the books, you will never see these sayings. It was the exaggeration of the priesthood that claimed passionately to their people that only their faith is the right way.
Gabriel tells Muhammad, that God is correcting them in their grave mistake at this point by sending a new messenger-him.
Why are these Jewish and Christian leaders of the past inmates to hell? Because they judged other nations as “unsaved” aiding in the division and separation of people. Remember Satan wishes to keep us divided and waring with each other, to prove to God he can steal our souls and have us turn away from God. We are reminded in these verses that those who caused so much bloodshed and suffering on earth, will be held accountable.