20. The lightning almost snatches their sight away. Whenever it illuminates for them, they walk in it; but when it grows dark over them, they stand still. Had God willed, He could have taken away their hearing and their sight. God is capable of everything.
21. O people! Worship your Lord who created you and those before you, that you may attain piety.
22. He who made the earth a habitat for you, and the sky a structure, and sends water down from the sky, and brings out fruits thereby, as a sustenance for you. Therefore, do not assign rivals to God while you know.
23. And if you are in doubt about what We have revealed to Our servant, then produce a chapter like these, and call your witnesses apart from God, if you are truthful.
24. But if you do not-and you will not-then beware the Fire whose fuel is people and stones, prepared for the disbelievers.
25. And give good news to those who believe and do righteous deeds; that they will have gardens beneath which rivers flow. Whenever they are provided with fruit therefrom as sustenance, they will say, “This is what we were provided with before,” and they will be given the like of it. And they will have pure spouses therein, and they will abide therein forever.
26. God does not shy away from making an example of a gnat, or something above it. As for those who believe, they know that it is the Truth from their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, they say, “What did God intend by this example?” He leads astray many thereby, and He guides many thereby; but He misleads thereby only the evildoers.
27. Those who violate God’s covenant after its confirmation, and sever what God has commanded to be joined, and commit evil on earth. These are the losers.
28. How can you deny God, when you were dead and He gave you life, then He will put you to death, then He will bring you to life, then to Him you will be returned?
29. It is He who created for you everything on earth, then turned to the heaven, and made them seven heavens. And He is aware of all things.
30. When your Lord said to the angels, “I am placing a successor on earth.” They said, “Will You place in it someone who will cause corruption in it and shed blood, while we declare Your praises and sanctify You?” He said, “I know what you do not know.”
At this point Gabriel is coaching Muhammad on what to say to people exactly word for word. And there is no doubt in my mind, this is what he said in public. Muhammad is basically being told that God is a power greater than they can ever imagine and has provided everything for them on earth and in the heavens. There is 7 heavens which I take in two ways: 7 layers of sky, and also 7 layers of dimensions of space that we can not see. This is a curious statement and I am not sure even Muhammad knew what Gabriel was referring to, but he said it in order to show people in public that he has been given wisdom no normal man could have at that time. They did not know about the seven layers of the sky because they could not test at that time and have the science to study the sky in this way. It’s incredible this knowledge is even in the Quran, and is one of the many things that proved how this is truth.
Also to me, when we go deeper, we see that there are 7 chakras and seven layers of “heavens” could refer to dimensions of space that equate to different levels of consciousness. There is a Kabbalah idea about the Tree of Life, and the different dimensions of space. Also the ancient Hindu wisdom about the 7 chakras. Somehow this all fits together and once again shows the deep truth and wisdom in the Quran.
The example of the gnat, is to show how interconnected everything is. We are different from the animals and yet, the same in terms of created from the same Creator, so we need to be respectful of ALL beings on earth aware of this interconnection
There is an idea in these last lines that God is aware of the deception and evil on earth by men, but that it was part of his original plan to test mankind. The angels ask God if He planned to put someone on earth, a destroyer of some sort. God answers with the idea that there is a Great Plan developing that nobody knows except God.