160. Except those who repent, and reform, and proclaim. Those-I will accept their repentance. I am the Acceptor of Repentance, the Merciful.
161. But as for those who reject faith, and die rejecting-those-upon them is the curse of God, and of the angels, and of all humanity.
162. They will remain under it forever, and the torment will not be lightened for them, and they will not be reprieved.
163. Your God is one God. There is no god but He, the Benevolent, the Compassionate.
164. In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of night and day; in the ships that sail the oceans for the benefit of mankind; in the water that God sends down from the sky, and revives the earth with it after it had died, and scatters in it all kinds of creatures; in the changing of the winds, and the clouds disposed between the sky and the earth; are signs for people who understand.
165. Yet among the people are those who take other than God as equals to Him. They love them as the love of God. But those who believe have greater love for God. If only the wrongdoers would realize, when they see the torment; that all power is God’s, and that God is severe in punishment.
166. Those who were followed will then disown those who followed them, and they will see the retribution, and ties between them will be severed.
167. Those who followed will say, “If only we can have another chance, we will disown them, as they disowned us.” Thus God will show them their deeds, as regrets to them, and they will not come out of the Fire.
168. O people! Eat of what is lawful and good on earth, and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. He is to you an open enemy.
169. He commands you to do evil and vice, and to say about God what you do not know.
170. And when it is said to them, “Follow what God has revealed,” they say, “We will follow what we found our ancestors following.” Even if their ancestors understood nothing, and were not guided?
The inspiring speech that Muhammad must courageously say to the Mecca leaders is still being given to Muhammad. At this point he is being told to let the leaders know that it is never too late to repent and change ways. They can simply submit to the laws of God to monotheism and there will never need to be wars.
Gabriel gives Muhammad the aspects of nature of God to show that the nature deities they may worship, is already a part of “Allah”, which is the Arabic name for the “One God”. So when you pray to Allah, you are indeed praying to the Creator of everything and no need to divide Him into aspects of His Self.
In one way, I believe this is the biggest crime of Paganism- to divide the ego into more pieces away from the whole of God. In Hinduism, many Hindus can worship one God as they see aspects of this one God in deity in form. There is a difference to worshipping many little gods, to honoring and devoting time to ONE.
This is why Muhammad is considered a prophet and a messenger, he was given the messages by an angel to give to the people, but he was also given insight into the future that other messengers where perhaps not given. Here he starts to see Hell as a place of separation these leaders will experience if they deny God’s Will on earth for monotheism.
It is described once again as a painful torment for them, and this pain will be experienced on a spiritual level.
There is a warning to not indulge in earthly pleasures and eat of things given and made good for them. As you know, the God of Abraham does not prescribe pig of any sorts, and possibly because it is not made good for human consumption as we learn so often in news stories. They are scavengers that roll in their own feces and mud. They are found to eat their own kind, and even the occasional farmer fallen into a pig pen (see news stories), and they are extremely dirty animals. Far more dirtier than grass grazing cows, sheep, or goat. God forbids the consumption of scavengers and carrion eaters, which devour other animals for their food. Eating their meat can cause disease in humans.
There is also the idea of committing one of the seven sins by self indulgence in what the earth provides-Gluttony. For me this is not about oppression of God, but healthy suggestion to not over indulge in food and drink. It’s about healthy balance.
And there is a warning that many should heed today: Just because your parents or grandparent practice one thing, does not make it right. You must always seek for the truth yourself. Remember Abraham’s father almost had him stoned for claiming monotheism. So do not follow your parent’s pathway of spirituality…always find your own.