210. Are they waiting for God Himself to come to them in the shadows of the clouds, together with the angels, and thus the matter is settled? All things are returned to God.
211. Ask the Children of Israel how many clear signs We have given them. Whoever alters the blessing of God after it has come to him-God is severe in retribution.
212. Beautified is the life of this world for those who disbelieve, and they ridicule those who believe. But the righteous will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. God provides to whomever He wills without measure.
213. Humanity used to be one community; then God sent the prophets, bringing good news and giving warnings. And He sent down with them the Scripture, with the truth, to judge between people regarding their differences. But none differed over it except those who were given it-after the proofs had come to them-out of mutual envy between them. Then God guided those who believed to the truth they had disputed, in accordance with His will. God guides whom He wills to a straight path.
214. Or do you expect to enter Paradise before the example of those who came before you had reached you? Adversity and hardship had afflicted them, and they were so shaken up, that the Messenger and those who believed with him said, “When is God’s victory?” Indeed, God’s victory is near.
215. They ask you what they should give. Say, “Whatever charity you give is for the parents, and the relatives, and the orphans, and the poor, and the wayfarer. Whatever good you do, God is aware of it.
216. Fighting is ordained for you, even though you dislike it. But it may be that you dislike something while it is good for you, and it may be that you like something while it is bad for you. God knows, and you do not know.
217. They ask you about fighting during the Holy Month. Say, “Fighting during it is deplorable; but to bar others from God’s path, and to disbelieve in Him, and to prevent access to the Holy Mosque, and to expel its people from it, are more deplorable with God. And persecution is more serious than killing. They will not cease to fight you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can. Whoever among you turns back from his religion, and dies a disbeliever-those are they whose works will come to nothing, in this life, and in the Hereafter. Those are the inmates of the Fire, abiding in it forever.
218. Those who believed, and those who migrated and fought for the sake of God-those look forward to God’s mercy. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
219. They ask you about intoxicants and gambling. Say, “There is gross sin in them, and some benefits for people, but their sinfulness outweighs their benefit.” And they ask you about what they should give: say, “The surplus.” Thus God explains the revelations to you, so that you may think.
220. About this world and the next. And they ask you about orphans. Say, “Improvement for them is best. And if you intermix with them, then they are your brethren.” God knows the dishonest from the honest. Had God willed, He could have overburdened you. God is Mighty and Wise.
Archangel Gabriel is speaking to Muhammad in hurried tones that Muhammad must let the people know that inaction is a choice too, and if the people sit around waiting for a miracle, it will be too late to fight the good fight and do God’s will on earth. Then judgement of inaction will be done to the people that neglected to lift a hand to fight evil in the world. This has happened to the children of Israel where they saw the Signs and neglected them causing some to follow God and others to follow their own desires. So here Gabriel is telling Muhammad to ask them about these same Signs, in a rhetorical way.
There is also indication that the words of Moses from God, had been manipulated in some way and to understand the warning again for Islam now. Muhammad is supposed to warn others that by writing words not from God and passing it off as so, will cause major problems.
To those who disbelieve in a Creator this world seems to be all there is. So they covet, and hoard wealth and fame. They attach themselves to their egos and to the material realm of this earth making them disconnect from the spiritual. God allows for this illusion to look beautiful to those who claim there is nothing else besides this lifetime. But the true believers are grateful and found a balance between enjoying this life, but also knowing there is more to come in the hereafter. The eternal optimists are the true believers, the ones who see the sunshine through the clouds are the best of humanity is what this angel is saying.
To me this does not mean that atheists can not be good, but they will lack the imagination to experience something beyond our idea of Good, if they do not believe in the Creator of it.
213 is LIFE of this revelation to me. It is the proof of all unity of all human beings that shows ultimately how and why we were divided in order for a grand testing of souls to get back to the state we fell from. Those that do judge one messenger over another will not experience this unity and may have trouble experiencing the ALL. When you reject one prophet, but accept another, you are judging on something you know little about, but go by your subjective feelings. This is what Archangel Gabriel is teaching us not to do. He tells Muhammad to follow the guidance that we are one, and it is the righteous who will make no distinctions between God’s messengers.
The reason why the books where manipulated was out of envy for one another. Something that was in the original Torah made the Christian leaders mad enough to conspire against them and vice versa with the Jews angry at the Christians. But all these matters return to God as we are judged for our bickering and unwillingness to see the other’s side.
Once again the monopoly on Heaven is being refuted by Gabriel who says that this idea is quite ridiculous because to say that only Christians or Jews will get to Heaven doesn’t explain the faithful servants that were “muslims” before these religions came about by the churches and temples.
Muhammad sincerely asks about charity and he is told that whatever good you do on earth is noted. Take care of those who seem to have less than you, treat them as family under one God. This is the beauty of Islam reflected here.
Yes fighting is a bad thing, but there are times in life when war is warranted and so Gabriel says that you must always fight to defend the innocent from any form of oppression in life. To not fight them, is worse for humanity in the long run. Many heroes through out time sacrificed their lives for the sake of others, and Gabriel acknowledged this and said this is why fighting is good for you while they can not see the positive effects just yet. The muslims from what I understand were a peaceful group that was being targeted by Mecca leaders so they were given permission here to fight back.
Alcohol and gambling are easy pathways to sin. They can be used as benefits in having fun with friends and family. They can bring a small enjoyment to life, but most people can not contain it to just this. Gabriel knows this and warns Muhammad that it is BEST for people to not pursue these things in life as they can dull the senses and cause economic situations that are not worth the suffering. Some muslims are very strict in their no alcohol intake while others can see there are greater sins in life, than this and are careful with excessive drinking. I will let you choose your own paths…
Orphans are something that seemed to be a big problem in society in 600 A.D. So Muhammad is given guidance to treat them justly and to not use them sexually, financially, or any other ways as God and his Angels are always watching.