70. O People of the Book! Why do you reject the revelations of God, even as you witness?
71. O People of the Book! Why do you confound the truth with falsehood, and knowingly conceal the truth?
72. Some of the People of the Book say, “Believe in what was revealed to the believers at the beginning of the day, and reject it at its end, so that they may return.”
73. And trust none except those who follow your religion.” Say, “Guidance is God’s guidance. If someone is given the like of what you were given, or they argue with you before your Lord, say, “All grace is in God’s hand; He gives it to whomever He wills.” God is Bounteous and Knowing.
74. He specifies His mercy for whomever He wills. God is Possessor of Sublime Grace.
75. Among the People of the Book is he, who, if you entrust him with a heap of gold, he will give it back to you. And among them is he, who, if you entrust him with a single coin, he will not give it back to you, unless you keep after him. That is because they say, “We are under no obligation towards the gentiles.” They tell lies about God, and they know it.
76. Indeed, whoever fulfills his commitments and maintains piety-God loves the pious.
77. Those who exchange the covenant of God, and their vows, for a small price, will have no share in the Hereafter, and God will not speak to them, nor will He look at them on the Day of Resurrection, nor will He purify them. They will have a painful punishment.
78. And among them are those who twist the Scripture with their tongues, that you may think it from the Scripture, when it is not from the Scripture. And they say, “It is from God,” when it is not from God. They tell lies and attribute them to God, knowingly.
79. No person to whom God has given the Scripture, and wisdom, and prophethood would ever say to the people, “Be my worshipers rather than God’s.” Rather, “Be people of the Lord, according to the Scripture you teach, and the teachings you learn.”
80. Nor would he command you to take the angels and the prophets as lords. Would he command you to infidelity after you have submitted?
It is a sad time in history of division, but Muhammad is receiving guidance and a solution to how unity can be established once again. There is an idea that Muhammad will have to speak to pagans of Mecca, Christians and Jews, and invite them to this unity of Islam.
There is proof in these ten verses that show that muslims are not at all supposed to “hate” other religions, in fact, the People of the Book are being shown as part of this brotherhood in mankind. Some Christians and Jews will give back the coins you loaned to them, but others will not. It has nothing to do with their religion as you see-it has to do with who they are as a person.
There is an example of the manipulation that happened in Judaism from the Jewish elders who called others who were non-Jews, “gentiles”. This is something Moses never ordained coming from God. Moses was teaching the idea of “Islam” and unity to other people under one God who were righteous. But something happened to Judaism that caused racism of others who were not their own kind. God and the Angels see this, and are telling Muhammad right now to talk to these people and let them know this behavior towards others is not right, and it is not the way to peace.
Also with Catholicism, humans, considered divine by the church were considered saints and were worshipped or idolized. Along with angel worship which was taught. Here is an Angel telling Muhammad that these things are not part of Jesus’s original teachings to the Christians. Also the idea of paying money to receive blessings or to get into Heaven. After reading the Quran, I wonder if Martin Luther ever read it himself as he spoke up against the priests taking people’s money for admittance to Heaven! This is not how God works. Money is no substitution for good deeds.
Here we can see there was A LOT of manipulation in religion 600 years after Jesus’s death, not necessarily in the books themselves, but in how the books were being taught to the people who were considered Christians and Jews. This is ultimately why Islam was being introduced to a new messenger-to get humanity back on track and to see the truth of One God, and unity under this One God that calls us all back to Him one day.