140. If a wound afflicts you, a similar wound has afflicted the others. Such days We alternate between the people, that God may know those who believe, and take martyrs from among you. God does not love the evildoers.
141. So that God may prove those who believe, and eliminate the disbelievers.
142. Or do you expect to enter Paradise, before God has distinguished those among you who strive, and before He has distinguished the steadfast?
143. You used to wish for death before you have faced it. Now you have seen it before your own eyes.
144. Muhammad is no more than a messenger. Messengers have passed on before him. If he dies or gets killed, will you turn on your heels? He who turns on his heels will not harm God in any way. And God will reward the appreciative.
145. No soul can die except by God’s leave, at a predetermined time. Whoever desires the reward of the world, We will give him some of it; and whoever desires the reward of the Hereafter, We will give him some of it; and We will reward the appreciative.
146. How many a prophet fought alongside him numerous godly people? They did not waver for what afflicted them in the cause of God, nor did they weaken, nor did they give in. God loves those who endure.
147. Their only words were, “Our Lord, forgive us our offenses, and our excesses in our conduct, and strengthen our foothold, and help us against the disbelieving people.”
148. So God gave them the reward of this world, and the excellent reward of the Hereafter. God loves the doers of good.
149. O you who believe! If you obey those who disbelieve, they will turn you back on your heels, and you end up losers.
150. God is your Master, and He is the Best of Helpers
Gabriel is explaining to Muhammad at this point, many days from the beginning of opening communication, that they are in another time in human history where war against the evil doers of the world is prescribed. What this tells me is that all around the world, there is an imbalance of evil now during this time. It seems that God sends a messenger every time there becomes such an imbalance of evil and good, that the evil threatens to destroy life. Having a new messenger would probably happen again today, but Muhammad was the seal of prophecy since the Quran explains exactly how things will end in the world, and perhaps universe.
Here Muhammad is being coached what to say to others, as he is just a vehicle for these messages to reach the people. He could die, or not die in battle, but he is being called by God to speak out against the oppression of the people by evil kings and religious leaders. So far it has been a few weeks to months of receiving these revelations. So by now, battles may have already happened in order to protect themselves and the messages of God, against the pagan Mecca leaders.
Gabriel tells Muhammad, that If you only seek for the rewards of this world, then that is what you shall get. If you seek for spiritual fulfillment or attainment to be honest, genuine and humble…then the rewards are greater. I do not believe they are physical awards. Money and gold are of this earth. But spiritual awards are the highest attainment and fulfilling to the soul.
Can you imagine a beautiful space with earthly trappings, where you reside in complete bliss with your spiritual family for all eternity? Anything can happen here because it is your consciousness unburdened by the material pull of this earth. Perhaps this is why the Angels can fly who live in this realm of God. Time, gravity and physics don’t limit them and they won’t limit us, either.
Wars in this world have been won by a certain side for a reason. Moses won the battle against the Egyptians with God’s help.The Civil War was won by the North, to free the slaves and start the process of equality. Human Rights movements are won by the side that is the most just and righteous. Not all battles have been won by the righteous, but that may also be a lesson in itself. The Hiroshima bomb dropped on Japan on the second stage of WW2 won for America, but today we are very aware of the dangers of the nuclear wars and the effects it has on the next generations. God always has a Plan, that we can not see, but everything happens in accordance to the Highest Good. Only we individually have a choice to go agains this flow, or flow with it in faith.
Those who repent, seek forgiveness, and humble themselves in this world will learn that the Angels are always on their side. God will protect and will help those who are true in their faith and are good in their souls, even through the hardships of life.