150. God is your Master, and He is the Best of Helpers.
151. We will throw terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve, because they attribute to God partners for which He revealed no sanction. Their lodging is the Fire. Miserable is the lodging of the evildoers.
152. God has fulfilled His promise to you, and you defeated them by His leave; until when you faltered, and disputed the command, and disobeyed after He had shown you what you like. Some of you want this world, and some of you want the next. Then He turned you away from them, to test you; but He pardoned you. God is Gracious towards the believers.
153. Remember when you fled, not caring for anyone, even though the Messenger was calling you from your rear. Then He repaid you with sorrow upon sorrow, so that you would not grieve over what you missed, or for what afflicted you. God is Informed of what you do.
154. Then after the setback, He sent down security upon you. Slumber overcame some of you, while others cared only for themselves, thinking of God thoughts that were untrue-thoughts of ignorance-saying, “Is anything up to us?” Say, “Everything is up to God.” They conceal within themselves what they do not reveal to you. And they say, “If it was up to us, none of us would have been killed here.” Say, “Even if you Had stayed in your homes, those destined to be killed would have marched into their death beds.” God thus tests what is in your minds, and purifies what is in your hearts. God knows what the hearts contain.
155. Those of you who turned back on the day when the two armies clashed-it was Satan who caused them to backslide, on account of some of what they have earned. But God has forgiven them. God is Forgiving and Prudent.
156. O you who believe! Do not be like those who disbelieved, and said of their brethren who marched in the land, or went on the offensive, “Had they stayed with us, they would not have died or been killed.” So that God may make it a cause of regret in their hearts. God gives life and causes death. God is Seeing of what you do.
157. If you are killed in the cause of God, or die-forgiveness and mercy from God are better than what they hoard.
158. If you die, or are killed-to God you will be gathered up.
159. It is by of grace from God that you were gentle with them. Had you been harsh, hardhearted, they would have dispersed from around you. So pardon them, and ask forgiveness for them, and consult them in the conduct of affairs. And when you make a decision, put your trust in God; God loves the trusting.
160. If God supports you, there is none who can overcome you. But if He fails you, who is there to help you after Him? So in God let the believers put their trust.
Gabriel is saying that through these victories in battle that God will give Muhammad, terror will be thrown in their hearts. The pagan Mecca leaders who are killing innocent people because they do not want to give up their wealth will soon see that Muhammad’s army and followers are strong and not easily defeated. They have the strength from God and the Angels that back them, that are invisible, but are always there.
I sat back and tried to imagine the voice this is written in. This is Gabriel giving exact instructions on what has happened during the battles with the Mecca leaders and what needs to be said to the people. Muhammad was the battle cry of God. Whether people want to like that fact or not, in today’s world, sometimes in order to bring peace, there needs to be a war against those who can not see peace nor want it.
It was probably hard for this middle aged man to become a military leader during this time, but with Gabriel supporting Muhammad in wisdom and fulfilling him with this knowledge that his armies will be safe and protected, he had extra strength given to him. Faith also provides a courageousness to sacrifice your life for the good of the many, because you KNOW in your heart that you will be rewarded in Heaven and have fulfilled some sort of spiritual duty given to you. It is a difficult time in today’s world…suicide bombers are sometimes transgressors and they are sometimes women and children who may have reached the end of hope. They become martyrs to save others they love against soldiers that threaten their lives. Each individual case is judged and weighed in morality to see if these sacrifices were true sacrifices to help others, or were they evil aggressions. Only God can judge and know for sure.
Fleeing from a war that is inevitable because evil people want to take your land, home, rights, and lives away does more harm than good for your soul. God does not like the proud cowards on earth. War is used as a measure at times to see the amount of faith believers may have in God in the first place. In war, there is an aggressive side or a side that started the war first. Then there is the defensive side that is trying to end the war while protecting themselves. God knows the difference between the two and will judge accordingly. God is merciful and understands who truly repents and asks for forgiveness as well. This all seeing consciousness knows what is each in our hearts and minds, we can not escape the True Reality of God.
The Plan of the world exists already, what matters is the choices we make.