80. Whoever obeys the Messenger is obeying God. And whoever turns away-We did not send you as a watcher over them.
81. They profess obedience, but when they leave your presence, some of them conspire something contrary to what you said. But God writes down what they conspire. So avoid them, and put your trust in God. God is Guardian enough.
82. Do they not ponder the Quran? Had it been from any other than God, they would have found in it much discrepancy.
83. When some news of security or alarm comes their way, they broadcast it. But had they referred it to the Messenger, and to those in authority among them, those who can draw conclusions from it would have comprehended it. Were it not for God’s blessing and mercy upon you, you would have followed the Devil, except for a few.
84. So fight in the cause of God; you are responsible only for yourself. And rouse the believers. Perhaps God will restrain the might of those who disbelieve. God is Stronger in Might, and More Punishing.
85. Whoever intercedes for a good cause has a share in it, and whoever intercedes for an evil cause shares in its burdens. God keeps watch over everything.
86. When you are greeted with a greeting, respond with a better greeting, or return it. God keeps count of everything.
87. God-there is no god except He. He will gather you to the Day of Resurrection, in which there is no doubt. And who speaks more truly than God?
88. What is the matter with you, divided into two factions regarding the hypocrites, when God Himself has overwhelmed them on account of what they did? Do you want to guide those whom God has led astray? Whomever God leads astray-you will never find for him a way.
89. They would love to see you disbelieve, just as they disbelieve, so you would become equal. So do not befriend any of them, unless they emigrate in the way of God. If they turn away, seize them and execute them wherever you may find them; and do not take from among them allies or supporters.
90. Except those who join people with whom you have a treaty, or those who come to you reluctant to fight you or fight their own people. Had God willed, He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. If they withdraw from you, and do not fight you, and offer you peace, then God assigns no excuse for you against them.
At this point, Muhammad has been speaking publicly in front of the people of Medinah and Mecca. Some are listening, while others are not. Some people have lied to Muhammad’s face not understanding how God reflects on all reality and can see their lies. The Angel is asking Muhammad to question people to try to find any discrepancy within the Quran to prove it’s authentic source. That is the one thing that is miraculous about the Quran-you can not. It is written in ONE flowing voice, and not from Muhammad, but a higher perspective that could only come from a being that knows humanity as a whole, and can know what God wants for it.
This Quran, which are many revelations all in one book, is a Mercy for mankind because there are only a few people who naturally do the things. or think the things written in the Quran, as pure souls who just have this instinctive ability. But God has decided to give EVERYONE on earth a chance to follow the straight path back home to God. So this is what the Quran is, it is a guidebook for those who don’t already understand or comprehend life and God’s Will.
This means that YES you can be a Christian, and YES you can be a Jew, but you must see all parts of religion as one. You must become a muslim Christian, or a muslim Jew to fully submit to God. Those who call themselves muslims, are then following the same paths as the other faiths, and vice versa. God always knew there would be less suffering in this world, if we could could see belief as one idea towards wholeness instead of divided into sects.
It is ok to call something a different name from each other because of language and culture, but ultimately the meanings have to be the same in order to have peace. There can be no spiritual hierarchies of faith and this is what the Quran was trying to say-A Christian is not better or guaranteed Heaven more so than a Jew, or vice versa. If we are all muslims, we are all servants and future dwellers of Heaven.
The Angel is telling Muhammad to rouse the others and get them to stand up against the evil on earth, and to be kind and greet others with sincerity. It’s a delicate balance of being both kind and strong, that is needed in the muslims to spread the message of the True God.
Muhammad is being told that these disbelievers (Pagan Arab tribes) will continue to fight the people of God, so it is their duty to fight them and do what they must, UNTIL the evil ones stop their fighting and come to an understanding in their minds that lead to peace. Otherwise self defense and defending God’s message is prescribed in order to protect what is good and innocent in the world.
Our Mercy is the words that should have always been found in the other religious texts