90. Except those who join people with whom you have a treaty, or those who come to you reluctant to fight you or fight their own people. Had God willed, He would have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. If they withdraw from you, and do not fight you, and offer you peace, then God assigns no excuse for you against them.
91. You will find others who want security from you, and security from their own people. But whenever they are tempted into civil discord, they plunge into it. So if they do not withdraw from you, nor offer you peace, nor restrain their hands, seize them and execute them wherever you find them. Against these, We have given you clear authorization.
92. Never should a believer kill another believer, unless by error. Anyone who kills a believer by error must set free a believing slave, and pay compensation to the victim’s family, unless they remit it as charity. If the victim belonged to a people who are hostile to you, but is a believer, then the compensation is to free a believing slave. If he belonged to a people with whom you have a treaty, then compensation should be handed over to his family, and a believing slave set free. Anyone who lacks the means must fast for two consecutive months, by way of repentance to God. God is All-Knowing, Most Wise.
93. Whoever kills a believer deliberately, the penalty for him is Hell, where he will remain forever. And God will be angry with him, and will curse him, and will prepare for him a terrible punishment.
94. O you who believe! When you journey in the way of God, investigate, and do not say to him who offers you peace, “You are not a believer,” aspiring for the goods of this world. With God are abundant riches. You yourselves were like this before, and God bestowed favor on you; so investigate. God is well aware of what you do.
95. Not equal are the inactive among the believers-except the disabled-and the strivers in the cause of God with their possessions and their persons. God prefers the strivers with their possessions and their persons above the inactive, by a degree. But God has promised goodness to both. Yet God favors the strivers, over the inactive, with a great reward.
96. Degrees from Him, and forgiveness, and mercy. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
97. While the angels are removing the souls of those who have wronged themselves, they will say, “What was the matter with you?” They will say, “We were oppressed in the land.” They will say, “Was God’s earth not vast enough for you to emigrate in it?” These-their refuge is Hell. What a wretched retreat!
98. Except for the weak among men, and women, and children who have no means to act, and no means to find a way out.
99. These-God may well pardon them. God is Pardoning and Forgiving.
100. Anyone who emigrates for the sake of God will find on earth many places of refuge, and plentitude. Anyone who leaves his home, emigrating to God and His Messenger, and then is overtaken by death, his compensation falls on God. God is Forgiver, Most Merciful.
Muhammad is being told that those who come to him and his people in peace and do not wish to fight, then they should be granted peace and no fighting should be done. But those who keep fighting them, do not restrain themselves against killing the believers in God-he is given full permission to fight back with his army of followers and for them to know this is the effect of the cause of the disbeliever’s anger towards Muhammad and their blindness towards God. If they die in war, that is their own doing-not the believers.
If a believer kills another believer, than there is serious retribution that has to be made. If this is an accident, then paying the family or setting a war slave free is prescribed. If not that, then fasting for two months is needed to show discipline and repenting for the mistake. If a believer is killed on purpose by another, than the person who killed them will have dire consequences.
Muhammad is told to not judge others in their level of spirituality if they come to you in peace. If a person from Mecca comes to follow Muhammad and becomes a believer in God, then it is no right of the people to call that person a “disbeliever” without full thought and investigation. Meaning, that you can not judge someone on emotional evidence. If a person comes to them, but is a spy for the other army, then evidence needs to be presented so that everything is just and fair in calling out someone for their disbelief.
God wants us to be active believers, and not be “lazy” with our faith. Sloth is one of the seven sins in Christianity, and here it shows that God prefers workers in this world, to the ones who sit around and let bad things happen to them. Also charity, and being kind take a special level of activity so this is why we are told to be active with our faith.
Leaving your land when oppressed is another option for believers. If you die while being oppressed for being inactive and letting the oppressors kill you, the Angels will ask “Why?” and the excuses will not be strong enough to be seen as active in faith. So immigration is key in being a muslim, if you can not fight and are a woman with children, or not able bodied to fight against the oppressors then it is best to emigrate and settle some place else looking for peace. The world is big enough where you can move, but those who can not for serious reasons, God is Understanding and Just.
Today’s muslim immigrants who are leaving places of oppression