50. Is it the laws of the time of ignorance that they desire? Who is better than God in judgment for people who are certain?
51. O you who believe! Do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies; some of them are allies of one another. Whoever of you allies himself with them is one of them. God does not guide the wrongdoing people.
52. You will see those in whose hearts is sickness racing towards them. They say, “We fear the wheel of fate may turn against us.” But perhaps God will bring about victory, or some event of His making; thereupon they will regret what they concealed within themselves.
53. Those who believe will say, “Are these the ones who swore by God with their strongest oaths that they are with you?” Their works have failed, so they became losers.
54. O you who believe! Whoever of you goes back on his religion-God will bring a people whom He loves and who love Him, kind towards the believers, stern with the disbelievers. They strive in the way of God, and do not fear the blame of the critic. That is the grace of God; He bestows it upon whomever He wills. God is Embracing and Knowing.
55. Your allies are God, and His Messenger, and those who believe-those who pray regularly, and give charity, and bow down.
56. Whoever allies himself with God, and His Messenger, and those who believe-surely the Party of God is the victorious.
57. O you who believe! Do not befriend those who take your religion in mockery and as a sport, be they from among those who were given the Scripture before you, or the disbelievers. And obey God, if you are believers.
58. When you call to the prayer, they take it as a joke and a trifle. That is because they are people who do not reason.
59. Say, “O People of the Scripture! Do you resent us only because we believe in God, and in what was revealed to us, and in what was revealed previously; and most of you are sinners?”
60. Say, “Shall I inform you of worse than that for retribution from God? He whom God has cursed, and with whom He became angry; and He turned some of them into apes, and swine, and idol worshipers. These are in a worse position, and further away from the right way.”
This is hard truth Muhammad is receiving from Gabriel. At this time in history, after Jesus left the people to evolve on their own, Christianity and Judaism had become major powers in the world. The messages had been altered so much by the priests and rabbis to the people who could not read, and needed an interpretation from them. It was time for a new message to come down from God, to unite what has been broken.
At this time for the Arab muslims to take Christians and Jews as allies may not have been a smart move UNTIL they understood Islam to come from the same God. This is the evil of racism against others of different culture and skin. It closes minds and hearts to seeing the people of Arabia touched by God as well. Muhammad was a tool to unite the light skinned Europeans with the dark skinned Desert tribes. God loves unity.
Gaining popularity of these messages of unity, Islam was being spread and was ridiculed by the other religious leaders. It was a tough time for Muhammad to be a pioneer of the idea of unity. It is a blessing and a wonder how he did not get killed by men so angry that the truth was being revealed to him!
Today, is a different story. Of course Christians and Jews should be taken as friends or allies with Muslims, these warnings aren’t for this time in history. But regardless the faith, you should never put up with someone mocking or ridiculing you. Just walk away and ignore them, understanding that God will judge them in the end for their actions and choices. It’s not worth it to get into a fight over, and remember we are being watched to see what we each do with the messages given to us.
Muhammad is told to tell the people there needs to be caution in dealing with people who have become so accustomed to their way of life that they will be angry with others who disrupt it. It is best to be at peace with them, but know that God is on the faithful’s side while they are being mocked and fought.
Those who mock others who are good believers in the Lord of the Universe, have never evolved higher than an ape’s mentality. They are blind and barbaric likened to pigs and uncivilized pagan worshippers for their immaturity of what they don’t understand. Muhammad is told that this is the retribution for those who mock God and His messengers.