10. Messengers before you were ridiculed, but those who mocked them became besieged by what they ridiculed.
11. Say, “Travel the earth and observe the final fate of the deniers.”
12. Say, “To whom belongs what is in the heavens and the earth?” Say, “To God.” He has inscribed for Himself mercy. He will gather you to the Day of Resurrection, in which there is no doubt. Those who lost their souls do not believe.
13. To Him belongs whatever rests in the night and the day. He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
14. Say, “Shall I take for myself a protector other than God, Originator of the heavens and the earth, and He feeds and is not fed?” Say, “I am instructed to be the first of those who submit.” And do not be among the idolaters.
15. Say, “I fear, should I defy my Lord, the punishment of a tremendous Day.”
16. Whoever is spared on that Day-He had mercy on him. That is the clear victory.
17. If God touches you with adversity, none can remove it except He. And if He touches you with good-He is Capable of everything.
18. He is the Supreme over His servants. He is the Wise, the Expert.
19. Say, “What thing is more solemn in testimony?” Say, “God is Witness between you and me. This Quran was revealed to me, that I may warn you with it, and whomever it may reach. Do you indeed testify that there are other gods with God?” Say, “I myself do not testify.” Say, “He is but One God, and I am innocent of your idolatry.”
20. Those to whom We have given the Book recognize it as they recognize their own children; but those who have lost their souls do not believe.
Gabriel, or this pure messenger being from God, is telling Muhammad some extremely important things at this point. It is important to establish God as the ALL encompassing consciousness or being. This is not a river god, or a war god, this is the God of everything that is and ever will be. “Allah” the Arabic expression for the One God, is a vast expansive expression of creation in itself and no other deity could reign supreme. Allah would be comparable to Vishnu, the highest reality or truth of the soul that represents Creation, if all other gods and goddesses where eliminated from the Hindu religion.
Vishnu in Hinduism is known as the Preserver and Protector. This very essence of the source for life and then sustainability of life, is the ultimate intelligent consciousness that protects and preserves, without needing any preserving itself. So Muhammad is being coached to ask the people rhetorical questions to make the people think about the frailty or dependence of material things of the other gods people may worship.
This information is given to Muhammad to question the pagans of his time, be it the Arab tribes, or Christians controlled by Rome now that was once under Constantine. He is being told to warn people about dividing God into many different parts. God is One. He never was created, nor can be destroyed. He needs nobody, but provides infinitely for His creations.
If I can give my own interpretation of the meaning behind this insistency of worshipping ONE God, it would be to show the importance for humanity to learn their “oneness” as well. When I started to embrace Islam as my path, I started to see EVERYTHING as part of God, and saw the overarching force behind everything. We have a choice to be in the flow or awareness of this God force, or we can choose not to be. Choosing not to be is what the Quran refers to as “deaf and blind to the Signs”. I think I was always able to see life in this way as a young girl, but the appreciation for this life grew substantially after realizing I was always a muslim and ultimately this is what a muslim will come to know, if they love God.
Line 17 is very important, and I have become a happier person in discovering this knowledge within the Quran. I can appreciate not only the good blessings bestowed upon me in life, but I also can appreciate the hard times that turn out to later be lessons given to me and have grown humble in my thanks and in my love, for this Higher Source.
The Quran was a written testament to our unity and oneness, and those with eyes already open and minds awake to see this “oneness” we all share, know this and can see this. Those that don’t choose to study or read the Quran, may find this path in another way, God willing. But as I tell people, the Quran, even if you are not a muslim, or not interested in ever becoming one, gives you greater insight into the material and spiritual realms, than you can imagine.
If you have any personal doubts about humanity’s interconnection, google 11:11, and see a shared experience felt by many around the world today. I am one of them who see this and learned about this shared synchronicity in other people’s lives about 10 years ago.
I don’t pretend to know God’s plans for the world, but I do see a pattern emerging. We are here to discover our unity. Not through force, or laws. But through freedom of choice to choose to see our equality and connections to one another. Having Muhammad go out to the people and teach God is ONE, in religion as Islam did, was a great predecessor to what is happening now. We are realizing we are ONE as well.