20. Those to whom We have given the Book recognize it as they recognize their own children; but those who have lost their souls do not believe.
21. Who does greater wrong than someone who fabricates lies against God, or denies His revelations? The wrongdoers will not succeed.
22. On the Day when We gather them all together, then say to the idolaters, “Where are your idols, those you used to claim?”
23. Then their only argument will be to say, “By God, our Lord, we were not idolaters.”
24. Look how they lied to themselves. And what they invented deserted them.
25. Among them are those who listen to you; but We place covers over their hearts, to prevent them from understanding it, and heaviness in their ears. Even if they see every sign, they will not believe in it. Until, when they come to you, to argue with you, those who disbelieve will say, “These are nothing but myths of the ancients.”
26. They keep others from it, and avoid it themselves; but they ruin only their own souls, and they do not realize.
27. If only you could see, when they are made to stand before the Fire; they will say, “If only we could be sent back, and not reject the revelations of our Lord, and be among the faithful.”
28. What they used to conceal before will become clear to them. And even if they were sent back, they would revert to what they were forbidden. They are liars.
29. And they say, “There is nothing but our life in this world, and we will not be resurrected.”
30. If only you could see, when they are stationed before their Lord. He will say, “Is this not real?” They will say, “Yes indeed, by our Lord.” He will say, “Then taste the torment for having disbelieved.”
There are two different types of people that Muhammad needs to help set back on the right path, after 600 years of Jesus’s departure from earth: the idolaters and the disbelievers.
The idolaters are both pagan and non-pagan worshippers who pray to an object or believe that God inhabits an object of religious significance. This is what happened with the Golden Calf, when Moses turned his back on the Israelites, he found them honoring an idol as their creator.
The reason why Islam was so against idols, is that it does not teach the infiniteness of God, and limits Him to an object or a representation of a certain image. I believe that God and His angels are always trying to get humans to expand their consciousness and awareness of the spiritual world, so putting God in a idol, is very much like putting God in a box. And creating a sure identity can cause wars when others have other “idols” or images of God. So God and the Angels were trying to teach humans that God is indefinite in form and can not be honed down to one particular image ever. There is no need to fight or kill over what can not ever be known. All non-material and personal experiences of God are more correct and accepted, than God being shrunk down to an idol.
These people who can only see God inside this image or idol, will be asked on the Last Days, why they chose to see God this way and be an idolater praying to a statue or object. And they will be shown the true reality of their Lord. I don’t see God as a “jealous” God in the sense that God doesn’t like graven images because He is a tyrant who wants to control us. I see it as once again being the Guide to show us that this is not the way to expanding the mind and investigating deeper into the depths of human spirituality. We are always being guided and this is why there is no description of God in the Abraham texts.
Someone who sees God as a many armed crocodile war being, in death may only experience this type of God. Because even though God is the True Reality, our consciousness and the direction we choose to go determine what we will see in the hereafter. And for the atheists, how can you see God in death, when you have been blind or not open to seeing God in life? Their eyes, and ears will remain closed off even more to the Signs of God, unless they learn to open them themselves. This shock of awakening all at once knowing there is a Creator may be painful for those who don’t prepare themselves spiritually while still in a body. I believe that everything is and will be experienced more on a purer level in the spiritual realms, and yes this includes pain, which can be described in the Bible and the Quran as Hell.
The believers who are more open and ready for an afterlife will experience Heaven because they will be accepting of it, and welcoming of it. God is good to them, because they see good in God. And because they didn’t make God smaller into an image, their experience of God and the Heavenly realm will be as vast as they can imagine.