30. If only you could see, when they are stationed before their Lord. He will say, “Is this not real?” They will say, “Yes indeed, by our Lord.” He will say, “Then taste the torment for having disbelieved.”
31. Losers are those who deny the encounter with God. Then, when the Hour comes upon them suddenly, they will say, “Alas for us, how we have neglected it.” And they will carry their burdens on their backs-evil is what they carry.
32. The life of this world is nothing but game and distraction, but the Home of the Hereafter is better for those who are righteous. Do you not understand?
33. We know that what they say grieves you. It is not you they reject, but it is God’s revelations that the wicked deny.
34. Other messengers before you were rejected, but they endured rejection and persecution until Our help came to them. There can be no change to God’s words. News of the Messengers has already reached you.
35. If you find their rejection hard to bear, then if you can, seek a tunnel into the earth, or a stairway into the heaven, and bring them a sign. Had God willed, He could have gathered them to guidance. So do not be of the ignorant.
36. Only those who listen will respond. As for the dead, God will resurrect them; then to Him they will be returned.
37. And they say, “If only a sign could come down to him from his Lord.” Say, “God is Able to send down a sign, but most of them do not know.”
38. There is no animal on land, nor a bird flying with its wings, but are communities like you. We neglected nothing in the Scripture. Then to their Lord they will be gathered.
39. Those who reject Our revelations are deaf and dumb, in total darkness. Whomever God wills, He leaves astray; and whomever He wills, He sets on a straight path.
40. Say, “Have you considered? if God’s punishment came upon you, or the Hour overtook you, would you call upon any other than God, if you are sincere?”
Gabriel is telling Muhammad quite sternly that he must tell the people that finding God in death only, will be too late. THIS life is the test, and the afterlife is the reward of what you created on this material realm. Just as we take tests in school to pass to a higher level of education or knowledge, why should life and death be any different? If you can’t pass the spiritual tests before you in life while alive, you fail to reap the benefits of feeling close or united back with God in death. Cause and effect.
It is very heartwarming to see the love from this angel emanating out to Muhammad in line 33. I can almost visualize the wings going around Muhammad to comfort and soothe him for his effort, while he is sad at seeing little results with the Mecca pagans. Here Gabriel is telling Muhammad that those who lift a face up to the sky in gratitude and resonate with his words, are shown the way for a reason that Muhammad will not fully understand, but must trust and not remain ignorant.
It is true in today’s world. Even if a sign from Heaven came down, there would be many people who would deny this sign and shove it away as a figment of imagination, mass hysteria, or worse…malicious intent. Those that see God as an enemy or non-existent will continue to see the reality as they choose. The more you open your heart and mind to the Signs of God, the more they are revealed to you. The more you open your eyes and mind to God, the more Heaven is revealed to you.
We must always be open to see the Signs