41. In fact, it is Him you will call upon; and if He wills, he will remove what you called Him for, and you will forget what you idolized.
42. We sent messengers to communities before you, and We afflicted them with suffering and hardship, that they may humble themselves.
43. If only, when Our calamity came upon them, they humbled themselves. But their hearts hardened, and Satan made their deeds appear good to them.
44. Then, when they disregarded what they were reminded of, We opened for them the gates of all things. Until, when they delighted in what they were given, We seized them suddenly; and at once, they were in despair.
45. Thus the last remnant of the people who did wrong was cut off. And praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds.
46. Say, “Have you considered? If God took away your hearing and your sight, and set a seal on your hearts, what god other than God would restore them to you?” Note how We explain the revelations in various ways, yet they still turn away.
47. Say, “Have you considered? if God’s punishment descended on you suddenly or gradually, would any be destroyed except the wrongdoing people?”
48. We sent the messengers only as bearers of good news and as warners. Those who believe and reform have nothing to fear, nor shall they grieve.
49. But as for those who reject Our revelations, torment will afflict them because of their defiance.
50. Say, “I do not say to you that I possess the treasuries of God, nor do I know the future, nor do I say to you that I am an angel. I only follow what is inspired to me.” Say, “Are the blind and the seeing alike? Do you not think?”
This is an extremely deep wisdom given to Muhammad by Gabriel. I discovered that every time “Say” is written in the Quran, this is what Muhammad said to the people. He is being told of an earlier time when an ancient civilization was tested with other messengers and messages and they refused to believe. They were then left to their own devices to see if they would come back to God voluntarily, but they followed Satan instead thinking their deeds were good as Satan likes to create illusions of.
They were allowed to delve in their sins and immorality for a little while, but just at the moment of the peak of their civilization, when they had all the gold and life was just one big hedonist party-it was snatched away and the great punishment of destruction of their world came. This is because they denied and killed the messengers sent to them to warn them. They did not listen and the natural consequence of a great civilization falling down, happened. Much like how Ancient Egypt and Ancient Rome fell apart eventually, which were also steeped in unequal distribution of wealth and paganism.
Muhammad is told to tell the people that he does not have the answers to the universe, nor is an angel. He is a human given the messages to warn his other fellow humans. If they listen to him, it would be better for them. But those who choose to not, it is no burden on the messengers for what others choose to do or are in denial to see.
The inevitable fall of Ancient Rome