130. “O assembly of jinn and humans, did there not come to you messengers from among you, relating to you My revelations, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?” They will say, “We testify against ourselves.” The life of the world seduced them. They will testify against themselves that they were disbelievers.
131. That is because your Lord would not destroy towns for injustice while their inhabitants are unaware.
132. They all have ranks according to what they did; and your Lord is not unaware of what they do.
133. Your Lord is the Rich Beyond Need, the Possessor of Mercy. If He wills, He can do away with you, and substitute whomever He wills in your place, just as He produced you from the descendants of another people.
134. What you are promised is coming, and you cannot thwart it.
135. Say, “O my people! Work according to your ability, and so will I.” You will come to know to whom will belong the sequel of the abode.” The wrongdoers will not prevail.
136. And they set aside for God a share of the crops and the livestock He created, and they say, “This is for God,” according to their claim, “and this is for our idols.” But the share of their idols does not reach God, yet the share of God reaches their idols. Evil is their judgment.
137. Likewise, their idols entice many idolaters to kill their children, in order to lead them to their ruin, and confuse them in their religion. Had God willed, they would not have done it; so leave them to their fraud.
138. And they say, “These animals and crops are restricted; none may eat them except those we permit,” by their claims, and animals whose backs are forbidden, and animals over which they do not pronounce the name of God-fabricating lies against Him. He will repay them for what they used to invent.
139. And they say, “What lies in the wombs of these animals is exclusively for our males, and prohibited to our wives.” But if it is stillborn, they can share in it. He will surely punish them for their allegations. He is Wise and Knowing.
140. Lost are those who kill their children foolishly, with no basis in knowledge, and forbid what God has provided for them-innovations about God. They have gone astray. They are not guided.
Gabriel is giving Muhammad wisdom to know how God judges and is the Ultimate Judge of all souls. The jinns and mankind will testify against themselves, that means they will come clean about what they have done and admit their wrongs to the Lord, on the Last Days. This is why Gandhi would say he worshipped “TRUTH” as God, since there can be no God higher than truth in itself. Coming back to God is where every soul comes to a complete realization of what they have done in their life before moving onto the next.
This is because of God’s Fairness and Justness. Whoever will be punished are rightfully so in accordance to what they created or destroyed on earth. Muhammad is told that no one is ever punished without first being warned. Towns and civilizations are never destroyed before messengers are sent to warn others. This is because God gives the chance for all His creations to grow and learn. He is not a tyrant, He is a guiding force that connects us all together under Him.
We are told here that (much like Dante’s image of Hell in Dante’s Inferno) each sinner will have a rank according to what they have done. Small personal sins will not be judged the same ultimately, from the larger ones that destroyed lives. God is just and merciful in this way.
Line 133 is where Muhammad is told that God doesn’t need riches and no matter how wealthy these pagan leaders are they are being watched and will become aware of all that they have done on their last days, when their souls are taken up to God. Muhammad is the warner and he is there to tell them that the good tidings and the warnings from God will come. That is a promise whether they wish to accept it or not.
Muhammad is told to tell his people to put forth their effort and be a good devotee of God, by using their unique talents and skills to help others and spread the messages. He is also supposed to talk to the pagan leaders to let them know the rituals and sacrifices they do, do not reach God. God needs nothing to sustain Himself.
At this point in the transition from pagan Arabia to monotheistic Islam, people are trying to compromise and worship God that Muhammad talks about and their old deities they worshipped. So they set aside some of their animals and food for sacrifice to God, and the other half went to the idols they worshipped as gods. Muhammad is telling them here that they can not divide their faith, and while they try to do that, God of ALL things is aware of this.
Line 137 makes my blood run cold, and is the MAJOR reason why paganism must stop for once and for all and God’s messages be heard. There is much evidence that civilizations that had a pagan culture did do human sacrifices and especially young innocent children were sacrificed to their idols or gods. It is a very twisted idea that Satan started amongst humans to kill their own children, even though Abraham in the earlier days was enlightened upon, not to.
The only reason why it would make sense for God to allow such horrible practices to happen is so that people could be tested, and not being able to violate Free Will choice by directly stopping such a thing with an angel once again. But Gabriel soothes Muhammad here saying, those that did these evils will pay the price, and the innocent children live on in the hereafter. There will be justice for all innocent souls in the end.
Camel worship (line 138 “animals with backs that are forbidden”) and restriction of food to females, was a man made up idea that Gabriel is telling Muhammad about. Using camels for food was wrong, since that is not an animal God ordained to be eaten unless starvation took them. The camel was a desert horse, designed to carry people and their things to places, not for food, unlike the farm animals created for this purpose. The practice of not allowing women to eat while men can is totally made up lies against God. This is just one example of practices made up by selfish and arrogant men that God will call out in the end.
Anyone who kills their children are lost and have gone astray. Muhammad is to tell this to the people who engage in these pagan practices to stop. Just as Moses was told to stand up to the Pharaoh about his killing of Jewish baby boys in genocide or population control. This is wrong. There is no getting around this sin, and those who did it will suffer the consequences of their actions.