140. Lost are those who kill their children foolishly, with no basis in knowledge, and forbid what God has provided for them-innovations about God. They have gone astray. They are not guided.
141. It is He who produces gardens, both cultivated and wild, and date-palms, and crops of diverse tastes, and olives and pomegranates, similar and dissimilar. Eat of its fruit when it yields, and give its due on the day of its harvest, and do not waste. He does not love the wasteful.
142. Among the livestock are some for transportation, and some for clothing. Eat of what God has provided for you, and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. He is to you an outright enemy.
143. Eight pairs: two of the sheep, and two of the goats. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Inform me with knowledge, if you are truthful.”
144. And two of the camels, and two of the cattle. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Were you present when God enjoined this upon you?” Who does greater wrong than he who invents lies and attributes them to God, in order to mislead people without knowledge? God does not guide the wicked people.
145. Say, “In what was revealed to me, I find nothing forbidden to a consumer who eats it, except carrion, or spilled blood, or the flesh of swine-because it is impure-or a sinful offering dedicated to other than God. But if someone is compelled by necessity, without being deliberate or malicious-your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful.
146. For the Jews We forbade everything with claws. As of cattle and sheep: We forbade them their fat, except what adheres to their backs, or the entrails, or what is mixed with bone. This is how We penalized them for their inequity. We are indeed truthful.
147. If they accuse you of lying, say, “Your Lord is Possessor of infinite mercy, but His wrath cannot be averted from the guilty people.”
148. The polytheists will say, “Had God willed, we would not have practiced idolatry, nor would have our forefathers, nor would we have prohibited anything.” Likewise those before them lied, until they tasted Our might. Say, “Do you have any knowledge that you can produce for us? You follow nothing but conjecture, and you only guess.”
149. Say, “To God belongs the conclusive argument. Had He willed, He would have guided you all.”
150. Say, “Produce your witnesses who would testify that God has prohibited this.” If they testify, do not testify with them. And do not follow the whims of those who deny Our revelation, and those who do not believe in the Hereafter, and those who equate others with their Lord.
Muhammad is told by Gabriel that spiritually lost are the people that have made false religious practices, such as child sacrificing. This is an abomination in the eyes of God, and those who practice this have gotten lead by Satan, and have not been guided to do such terrible things based on the evil in their hearts by the choices they made.
God makes all food and fruit diverse in nature. Gabriel is telling Muhammad to make sure people don’t waste the precious food that has been given to them by our God and eat it during the harvest.
The livestock has been diversely created for different reasons. Some animals are for transportation such as horses and camels, and others are used for clothing such as wool from sheep. Animals that are allowed to be eaten have been described already by God and so Muhammad is reminded not to transgress.
Muhammad needs to ask the pagan leaders of Mecca about their practice with cattle and camels. There is an idea here that they took it as a superstition if there were two males, or two females born from the same womb. So Gabriel is telling Muhammad to question the people where this tradition came from and if they were there when these laws were first established. At this point, Gabriel is saying that these laws are not part of God’s Laws and there should not be such limitations like this conceived by men.
Muhammad is then to tell the people that there is nothing forbidden to eat except: blood, animal meat that has been dead for a long time before eating it, food that has been sacrificed to other gods, and flesh of swine. Logically many of this makes sense. drinking blood can cause a variety of medical problems even though tribes still do it today. Eating dead meat that is not fresh could have maggots in it and get people sick and even bring them to death. Flesh from the pig is said to contain a type of parasite that can not be killed by heat. All these things could be dangerous to human health and it is why they are forbidden. This is another example of what is not considered “halal” meat products.
The food being sacrificed to other gods may carry some ill intent towards the ones wanting to spread Islam. Also it is a way to get people to stop partaking in pagan rituals by not allowing the people to eat this type of meat.
For the Jews certain foods were forbidden after they wandered the desert for 40 days after refusing to settle on the land Moses lead them to first. So they were forbidden to eat anything with claws. Next, the fat of the animal was forbidden to eat except for the marrow, and from the back, and entrails. There is a story in the Torah or the Old Testament that talk about Jacob wrestling an angel and when he touched his thigh, it forbade the Jews to ever eat sinew from the thigh. I am seeing a little bit of a parallel here.
Muhammad is explained how those who decided to attribute things to God, that were not originally taught will then lie about it in the future. Muhammad must tell these people that if they are lying, they are only lying to themselves and God since He knows what is concealed and what is revealed.
The camel was made for the purpose of transportation in the desert with it’s special reservoir of water stored in it’s back. Just an example of the intelligent designing by God.