150. Say, “Produce your witnesses who would testify that God has prohibited this.” If they testify, do not testify with them. And do not follow the whims of those who deny Our revelation, and those who do not believe in the Hereafter, and those who equate others with their Lord.
151. Say, “Come, let me tell you what your Lord has forbidden you: that you associate nothing with Him; that you honor your parents; that you do not kill your children because of poverty-We provide for you and for them; that you do not come near indecencies, whether outward or inward; and that you do not kill the soul which God has sanctified-except in the course of justice. All this He has enjoined upon you, so that you may understand.”
152. And do not come near the property of the orphan, except with the best intentions, until he reaches maturity. And give full weight and full measure, equitably. We do not burden any soul beyond its capacity. And when you speak, be fair, even if it concerns a close relative. And fulfill your covenant with God. All this He has enjoined upon you, so that you may take heed.
153. This is My path, straight, so follow it. And do not follow the other paths, lest they divert you from His path. All this He has enjoined upon you, that you may refrain from wrongdoing.
154. Then We gave Moses the Scripture, perfect for the righteous, and explaining everything clearly, and a beacon, and mercy, that they may believe in the encounter with their Lord.
155. This too is a blessed Scripture that We revealed; so follow it, and be righteous, that you may receive mercy.
156. Lest you say, “The Scripture was revealed to two parties before us, and we were unaware of their teachings.”
157. Or lest you say, “Had the Scripture been revealed to us, we would have been better guided than they.” Clarification has come to you from your Lord, and guidance, and mercy. Who then does greater wrong than he who gives the lie to God’s messages, and turns away from them? We will repay those who turn away from Our messages with the worst kind of punishment, because of their turning away.
158. Are they waiting for anything but for the angels to come to them, or for your Lord to arrive, or for some of your Lord’s signs to come? On the Day when some of your Lord’s signs come, no soul will benefit from its faith unless it had believed previously, or had earned goodness through its faith. Say, “Wait, we too are waiting.”
159. As for those who divided their religion and became sects-you have nothing to do with them. Their case rests with God; then He will inform them of what they used to do.
160. Whoever comes up with a good deed will have ten times its like; and whoever comes up with an evil deed will be repaid only with its equivalent-they will not be wronged.
This is where Muhammad is given the same 10 commandments that was given to Moses. The Language has changed due to human development and it has become more direct, but the same similar good principles are still there.
- Do not associate other deities with God.
- Honor your parents
- Honor children
- Do not kill unless through a just trial or self defense of life
- Do not steal orphan’s homes or properties, and wealth
- Be honest with you word
- Do not steal or covet anyone’s wealth or property
- Do not take God’s name in vain by not fulfilling your promises to God
- Speak kindly to strangers and family
- Do not come near indecencies inward and outward (adultery, promiscuousness, rape, torturing animals and people, excess alcohol, gambling, drugs, etc.)
Muhammad is told to say that in doing these things he is taught by these revelations, he is on the straight path to God. A blessed scripture was given to Moses, and now it is given to Muhammad to teach the people of his nation.
Some who were given the messages from Moses, branched off to follow the words of their elders, priests, or leaders in charge. This is where religion became divided. Some people became arrogant thinking they knew more the word of God than Moses or Jesus did. Sections of religions are against what God wanted for the world. Sects of religions caused competitive nature, spiritual hierarchies, war, and death within the world. We were supposed to always be diverse people with a clear path to God. No label to define this path other than “Islam” in arabic. The path laid out in this Book needs no labeling, it is a way of life. Following the 10 commandments above will bring you to this straight path wherever you are in the world.
An artist’s depiction of Moses and the 10 commandments