In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.
1. Alif, Lam, Meem, Saad.
2. A Scripture was revealed to you, so let there be no anxiety in your heart because of it. You are to warn with it-and a reminder for the believers.
3. Follow what is revealed to you from your Lord, and do not follow other masters beside Him. Little you recollect.
4. How many a town have We destroyed? Our might came upon them by night, or while they were napping.
5. When Our might came upon them, their only cry was, “We were indeed wrongdoers.”
6. We will question those to whom messengers were sent, and We will question the messengers.
7. We will narrate to them with knowledge, for We were never absent.
8. The scales on that Day will be just. Those whose weights are heavy-it is they who are the successful.
9. But as for those whose weights are light-it is they who have lost their souls, because they used to mistreat Our revelations.
10. We have established you firmly on earth, and made for you in it livelihood-but rarely do you give thanks.
Gabriel is reiterating the fact that he is appointed as messenger to remind his nation that his civilization is threatened to be destroyed. The Angels and nature decided upon by God, destroyed ancient pagan civilizations before and this one is next on that list.
Muhammad is to warn the others that it has happened in the past and WILL happen once again if they do not adjust themselves and find the straight path to God. There is a wonderful site to learn about pre Islam Arabia and to see how lawlessness and injustice was creating a chaotic life for everyone in the great city of Mecca of pagan worship of their ancestors. Here is the link to start your journey to learning: http://www.al-islam.org/restatement-history-islam-and-muslims-sayyid-ali-ashgar-razwy/arabia-islam
The scales or weight being described to me means what a soul has done in it’s life. A heavy soul means one that has lived fully, and honorably without emptiness. A soul that is light in deeds, means someone who lived their life full of empty worth and deeds. One of the major realizations I am coming to understand is life is not worth living without helping others. We are all meant to cast a stone into this world, and to send out ripples of positive energy and growth. As I said, I don’t pretend to know God’s plan for all of us, but I am starting to see this pattern emerge where we are all starting to realize that without one another, and good deeds towards each other-life isn’t worth it.
Satan’s plan is to get us to live for only ourselves in selfishness and greed. God’s plan may be for us to live in balance of self needs, and to mainly live for each other.
In doing good for others, we are in turn doing God’s Will on earth.
Muhammad is told to tell the people that all of these blessings of a beautiful home, food, shelter, and experiences with each other have been given to us when we were given life. They should be thankful for this and grateful for the bad and the good times while being alive. In changing perspectives focusing on God rather than this material life, it can bring much peace and happiness to even the hardest of times.