10. We have established you firmly on earth, and made for you in it livelihood-but rarely do you give thanks
11. We created you, then We shaped you, then We said to the angels, “Bow down before Adam;” so they bowed down, except for Satan; he was not of those who bowed down.
12. God said, “What prevented you from bowing down when I have commanded you?” He said, “I am better than he; You created me from fire, and You created him from mud.”
13. He said, “Get down from it! It is not for you to act arrogantly in it. Get out! You are one of the lowly!”
14. Satan said, “Give me respite, until the Day they are resurrected.”
15. He said, “You are of those given respite.”
16. Satan said, “Because you have shunned me, I will waylay them on Your straight path.
17. Then I will come at them from before them, and from behind them, and from their right, and from their left; and you will not find most of them appreciative.”
18. The Lord said, “Get out of it, despised and vanquished. Whoever among them follows you-I will fill up Hell with you all.
19. And you, Adam, inhabit the Garden, you and your wife, and eat whatever you wish; but do not approach this tree, lest you become sinners.”
20. But Satan whispered to them, to reveal to them their nakedness, which was invisible to them. He said, “Your Lord has only forbidden you this tree, lest you become angels, or become immortals.”
Muhammad is told the reason to why humans are on earth today, and not in Heaven as spiritual beings. Adam was created and the angels were to show respect and bow down to Adam. Just as we bow to each other in “Namaste”. Satan was arrogant and did not want to bow in respect to Adam. Instead he mocked Adam saying he was made out of fire, while Adam was made out of earth.
Here we start to see where Satan developed his envy and hatred for mankind. Many muslims today argue whether Satan was an angel, or was a jinn. In my discovery, to be an angel means someone who is a messenger and guide for God’s messages and protector to His creations. Jinns are otherworldly nonhuman beings created out of fire with free will. It is hard to know exactly what Satan is. But we are told that Satan was arrogant and did not understand God’s command to bow in respect towards Adam.
God then kicks Satan out of this higher spiritual realm, and Satan begged God to let him live out till the End Times. God decides to show Mercy to even Satan and allows him to exist until humans stop existing. Perhaps God thought that Satan would learn a lesson and change his ways? Or there could have been a bigger plan in store for us and Satan than we can ever imagine.
But Satan was angry with God and vowed to tempt us to sin and thwart mankind’s spiritual growth. In my understanding this was all to prove that he was justified in not bowing to Adam as a great creation, like himself. Satan decided to not see unity and equality amongst mankind. In his arrogance his hatred for us grew and he is now forever trying to lead men astray.
God banished Satan from the spiritual place of goodness called Eden, and promised to fill Hell up with Satan and his followers on the Last Days. After God banished Satan, He told Adam that he and his wife may live in the garden forever in bliss, but to not go near a certain tree.
Satan whispered to them, planting the seed of greed and lust, that the tree would make them like the angels and immortal.
From here on in the world, we have people who believe that the quest for spiritual immortality and power is the pinnacle of life’s achievement. Although we are told by angels, messengers and prophets, that the real success is to leave here with a good soul. This key moment in beginning time of human consciousness is why we have so much greed in the world and leaders who tend to hoard to themselves. They are greedy and this introduction to Adam to have something that he wanted most, was what brought greed and the feeling of “lack” into Adam’s consciousness.
We all want our spiritual wings, but how we earn them is what really matters to God.