120. And the magicians fell to their knees.
121. They said, “We have believed in the Lord of the Worlds.”
122. “The Lord of Moses and Aaron.”
123. Pharaoh said, “Did you believe in Him before I have given you permission? This is surely a conspiracy you schemed in the city, in order to expel its people from it. You will surely know.”
124. “I will cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides; then I will crucify you all.”
125. They said, “It is to our Lord that we will return.”
126. “You are taking vengeance on us only because we have believed in the signs of our Lord when they have come to us.” “Our Lord! Pour out patience upon us, and receive our souls in submission.”
127. The chiefs of Pharaoh’s people said, “Will you let Moses and his people cause trouble in the land, and forsake you and your gods?” He said, “We will kill their sons, and spare their women. We have absolute power over them.”
128. Moses said to his people, “Seek help in God, and be patient. The earth belongs to God. He gives it in inheritance to whomever He wills of His servants, and the future belongs to the righteous.”
129. They said, “We were persecuted before you came to us, and after you came to us.” He said, “Perhaps your Lord will destroy your enemy, and make you successors in the land; then He will see how you behave.”
130. And We afflicted the people of Pharaoh with barren years, and with shortage of crops, that they may take heed.
Muhammad is told the story of how Moses made the magicians of the Pharaoh bow to the Lord when they saw the power that he wielded. They then angered the Pharaoh so much that he threatened to kill them in the way that is considered most dishonorable at the time, and still was during Muhammad’s time. It’s an ageless form of punishment and dishonor to be crucified and quartered. But by that time, they did not care they were believers and said to their Lord they will just return to.
The magicians were repenting and asking for Mercy from God, but the Pharaoh and his advisors were not giving Moses power so easily. They suggested the idea to kill all the males of the Israelites, and only spare the woman in response to Moses’s warnings.
Moses then went to his people and said to be patient and know that God is guiding them and has all power over the earth. The Hebrews said they were persecuted before and now still are being so. But Moses said there is a possibility that their enemies will be destroyed and they will be made the successors in the land, while seeing how they show their gratitude and behave.
So the beginning of the Signs coming from God was that the ancient Egyptians suffered great droughts and famine bringing them hardship, after all, God controls all nature.