70. They said, “Did you come to us to make us worship God alone, and abandon what our ancestors used to worship? Then bring us what you threaten us with, if you are truthful.”
71. He said, “Condemnation and wrath have befallen you from your Lord. Are you arguing with me over names, which you and your ancestors invented, for which God sent down no authority? Just wait; I am waiting with you.”
72. So We saved him and those with him, by mercy from Us, and We cut off the roots of those who rejected Our revelations and were not believers.
73. And to Thamood, their brother Saleh. He said, “O my people! Worship God; you have no god other than Him. Clarification has come to you from your Lord. This she-camel of God is a sign for you. So leave her to graze on God’s earth, and do her no harm, lest a painful penalty seizes you.”
74. “And remember how He made you successors after Aad, and settled you in the land. You make for yourselves mansions on its plains, and carve out dwellings in the mountains. So remember God’s benefits, and do not roam the earth corruptingly.”
75. The elite of his people, who were arrogant, said to the common people who had believed, “Do you know that Saleh is sent from his Lord?” They said, “We are believers in what he was sent with.”
76. Those who were arrogant said, “We reject what you believe in.”
77. So they hamstrung the she-camel, and defied the command of their Lord, and said, “O Saleh, bring upon us what you threaten us with, if you are one of the messengers.”
78. Whereupon the quake overtook them, and they became lifeless bodies in their homes.
79. Then he turned away from them, and said, “O my people, I have delivered to you the message of my Lord, and I have advised you, but you do not like those who give advice.”
80. And Lot, when he said to his people, “Do you commit lewdness no people anywhere have ever committed before you?”
Gabriel is telling Muhammad that when Noah tried to warn the nation of people he belonged to, they scoffed at him. They were arrogant and refused to believe. So God sent down the rains, while Noah was instructed to create an ark to hold him, and those who were with him as believers, and the animals.
Thamood was an ancient civilization after people of an older civilization called Aad, that lived in carved out homes out of the mountain side. God chose a messenger named, Saleh, to warn his people about their pagan ways and to worship one Lord.
They were tested with a female camel. They were told not to kill her, but they showed arrogance as well and ended up cutting the hamstrings of the camel when God sent a warning (through the messenger) about not touching her as a test. They heard the warnings though Saleh and they too did not listen to him.
Their civilization was destroyed eventually by an earthquake that brought their cities to ruins. When Saleh saw their lifeless bodies, he felt remorse for them not listening saying they did not like him warning them.
Next, Gabriel begins to tell the story of Lot.
An example of ancient cave homes of Guyaju.