80. And Lot, when he said to his people, “Do you commit lewdness no people anywhere have ever committed before you?”
81. “You lust after men rather than women. You are an excessive people.”
82. And his people’s only answer was to say, “Expel them from your town; they are purist people.”
83. But We saved him and his family, except for his wife; she was of those who lagged behind.
84. And We rained down on them a rain; note the consequences for the sinners.
85. And to Median, their brother Shuaib. He said, “O my people, worship God; you have no god other than Him. A clear proof has come to you from your Lord. Give full measure and weight, and do not cheat people out of their rights, and do not corrupt the land once it has been set right. This is better for you, if you are believers.”
86. “And do not lurk on every path, making threats and turning away from the path of God those who believe in Him, seeking to distort it. And remember how you were few, and how He made you numerous. So note the consequences for the corrupters.”
87. “Since some of you believed in what I was sent with, and some did not believe, be patient until God judges between us; for He is the Best of Judges.”
88. The arrogant elite among his people said, “O Shuaib, We will evict you from our town, along with those who believe with you, unless you return to our religion.” He said, “Even if we are unwilling?”
89. “We would be fabricating falsehood against God, if we were to return to your religion, after God has saved us from it. It is not for us to return to it, unless God, our Lord, wills. Our Lord embraces all things in knowledge. In God we place our trust. Our Lord, decide between us and our people in truth, for You are the Best of Deciders.”
90. The elite of his people who disbelieved said, “If you follow Shuaib, you will be losers.”
Muhammad is being told to tell the people the example of Lot and his city Sodom and Gomorrah. They became a corrupt city with men lusting after other men, and other immoralities. Lot was warned by the angels of God, as we know in the Bible, and he was spared with his family except for his wife. She lagged behind. This gives me an image of the idea that she simply chose not to move as fast and she got killed when their city was destroyed. It could be she made a mistake in her moving out of the city with Lot, and lingered too long, or she was a corrupted person God chose to stay behind.
Here it says “rained” down on them which does not necessarily mean water. It could mean fire, and as one blog suggested this was a volcanic eruption possibly in this area at the time: http://blog.world-mysteries.com/science/what-really-happened-to-sodom-and-gomorrah/
Median was another civilization that was sent a messenger named Shuaib. His people were immoral and worshipping more than one God. So he was awakened to the worship of One Creator and tried to warn everyone else. But the leaders of Median evicted him and his followers from their homes, when they did not accept their polytheist religion.
Lucas Van Leyden’s depiction of Sodom and Gomorrah’s destruction.