170. Those who adhere to the Scripture, and practice prayer-We will not waste the reward of the reformers.
171. And when We suspended the mountain over them, as if it was an umbrella, and they thought it would fall on them: “Hold fast to what We have given you, and remember what it contains, so that you may be saved.”
172. And when Your Lord summoned the descendants of Adam, and made them testify about themselves. “Am I not your Lord?” They said, “Yes, we testify.” Thus you cannot say on the Day of Resurrection, “We were unaware of this.”
173. Nor can you Say, “Our ancestors practiced idolatry before; and we are their descendants who came after them; will you destroy us for what the falsifiers did?”
174. We thus elaborate the revelations, so that they may return.
175. And relate to them the story of him to whom We delivered Our signs, but he detached himself from them, so Satan went after him, and he became one of the perverts.
176. Had We willed, We could have elevated him through them; but he clung to the ground, and followed his desires. His metaphor is that of a dog: if you chase it, it pants; and if you leave it alone, it pants. Such is the metaphor of the people who deny Our signs. So tell the tale, so that they may ponder.
177. Evil is the metaphor of the people who reject Our signs and wrong themselves.
178. Whomever God guides is the guided one. And whomever He sends astray-these are the losers.
179. We have destined for Hell multitudes of jinn and humans. They have hearts with which they do not understand. They have eyes with which they do not see. They have ears with which they do not hear. These are like cattle. In fact, they are further astray. These are the heedless.
180. To God belong the Most Beautiful Names, so call Him by them, and disregard those who blaspheme His names. They will be repaid for what they used to do.
Gabriel is telling Muhammad about the time when the Jews first received word of the Torah and the ten commandments. Mount Sinai was actually raised up over the heads of the people while God told them to keep the faith and always remember the revelations of the Torah. Now, I have checked other religious books and Jewish sites, do say the same thing. This is when a whole group of people heard the voice of God and saw a huge mountain hover over them demonstrating the infinite power of God.
I will just say that when I hear this it shows me that humans have much to learn about what kind of power exists outside of our material world. Anything people believe alien technology can do, God can do better WITHOUT technology-He only wills for it to be. God says a thing is and it IS. This is one of the main reasons, I do not believe aliens to be our creators or in an alien God that still has flesh and has been created by God.
This event was a major eye opener for those who witnessed it and should have made every single person there not sway in faith, but as we know, some people are blind even to the miracles in front of their eyes.
Line 172, is about the descendants of Adam that became true believers in God, known as the Jews. They testified about their faith, and God told them they have been warned so there is no surprise on the last days of their Judgment. The Jews then asked if they would be punished for what their ancestors have done in paganism and idolatry, but as we learn in the Quran, you are never punished for what others have done. There is no substitution of the soul. You receive whatever you put forth into the world, and so what their ancestors did wrong can not harm them unless they follow the same path.
Gabriel is also telling Muhammad to tell the story of one chosen Messenger of God who detached himself from the Signs from God, and chose to follow his own desires. Satan went after him and perverted him, meaning he corrupted him. This is a lesson to all people AND for Muhammad to know that just because someone is a chosen Messenger doesn’t mean that they are robots. They have free will as well, and if they decide not to follow the path of God and see the Signs, then that is their choice. God will always appoint someone new and the consequences of not being part of light of God for the world, will be the consequence.
Line 179, refers to jinns and humans who are blind, deaf, and spiritually unaware of all the Signs from God. So they will not return to Eden or paradise, but will follow Satan in Hell. Lately, personally I have seen a “zombie” like behavior of people in society. If something doesn’t outwardly effect them, they do not SEE it. They are blind to what is going on in the world, and do not care about others not in their immediate circle. These people are not ignorant, they just choose to be. It is hard to look at suffering and feel these emotions, but God is always trying to show us through our pain is our path to redemption.
Many times atheists like to ask that if God was so good, then why are their starving children in the world, or bad things that happen? A person with faith will realize that through these hardships, there is a foundation of faith to be built that can bring miracles to all.