30. When the disbelievers plotted against you, to imprison you, or kill you, or expel you. They planned, and God planned, but God is the Best of planners.
31. And when Our revelations are recited to them, they say, “We have heard. Had we wanted, we could have said the like of this; these are nothing but myths of the ancients.”
32. And they said, “Our God, if this is the truth from You, then rain down on us stones from the sky, or visit us with a painful affliction.”
33. But God would not punish them while you are amongst them. And God would not punish them as long as they seek forgiveness.
34. Yet why should God not punish them, when they are turning others away from the Sacred Mosque, although they are not its custodians? Its rightful custodians are the pious; but most of them do not know.
35. Their prayer at the House was nothing but whistling and clapping-so taste the punishment for your blasphemy.
36. Those who disbelieve spend their wealth to repel from God’s path. They will spend it, then it will become a source of sorrow for them, and then they will be defeated. Those who disbelieve will be herded into Hell.
37. That God may distinguish the bad from the good, and heap the bad on top of one another, and pile them together, and throw them in Hell. These are the losers.
38. Say to those who disbelieve: if they desist, their past will be forgiven. But if they persist-the practice of the ancients has passed away.
39. Fight them until there is no more persecution, and religion becomes exclusively for God. But if they desist-God is Seeing of what they do.
40. And if they turn away, know that God is your Protector. The Best Protector, and the Best Supporter.
Once again here is a clear example of the “voice” of the writing which shows this is not written by Muhammad at all. Gabriel is telling Muhammad what has happened in the present during this battle against the Mecca leaders. The people of Mecca have plotted to kill Muhammad and his followers, but have failed with God on Muhammad’s side.
The pagans of Mecca who worshiped their idols listened to Muhammad and said that they have heard the revelations before through the Christians and Jews, but they decided it was ancient myths and not what they believed. So they continued to do the rituals and worship that their ancestors have done and did not heed the warnings of the Christians and Jews. But this is only because they do not understand what has been given to mankind and those in power in Mecca didn’t want to see the truth.
Are you starting to see how Islam was just a continuation of what the Jews, and Christians were lead to? That’s why they are brothers and sisters under the same faith.
Gabriel tells Muhammad these people that worship deities and whistle and clap emptily in their temples to their war, river, fire gods that they have made up, will be piled on top of each other in Hell. This shows disregard and dishonor for these disbelievers coming from God that they become cast away in this sense. Gabriel is not playing with this terrible image shown mentally to Muhammad.
It is well known that the Kabbah which once was a place of worship for God, has become a house once again for many idols that the people of Mecca worshiped. During this time, Muhammad and his followers were prevented from coming to the Kabbah for monotheistic worship of God of Abraham. So in line 34, this is what this means. The monotheist believers were being persecuted and oppressed in the land by the polytheists.
Those that continue to use their wealth to follow the path of Satan (not establishing charity, prostitution, overindulgence in gold and jewels, stealing from the poor and creating usury, indulging in slavery) will be ushered into Hell, if they do not start using money in the right way.
But there is always hope for people and if the people of Mecca stop their paganism and turn to God, then what their ancestors have done will not affect them, they will become part of the righteous by accepting Islam. Muhammad is to fight them until there is no polytheists in the land fighting against the messages of God. If the Mecca leaders stop fighting and say they will believe, then Muhammad is told to also stop the fighting and allow for a new path to be established in Mecca.
As we learn later in history, the people of Mecca eventually became Muslims and equality was established through out the land just because Muhammad followed this guidance from an angel of God. “Allah” may have been a word used to describe a pagan moon god in pre-Islam Arabia, but the Arabic word “Allah” became far more to the Arabs after the Quran revelations.
Anyone who says Allah is a “moon god” that Muslims worship today, didn’t read the Quran or understand it.
Some ancient pre-Islamic idols that were worshiped in Mecca before the God of Abraham guided Muhammad.