20. Those who believe, and emigrate, and strive in God’s path with their possessions and their persons, are of a higher rank with God. These are the winners.
21. Their Lord announces to them good news of mercy from Him, and acceptance, and gardens wherein they will have lasting bliss.
22. Abiding therein forever. With God is a great reward.
23. O you who believe! Do not ally yourselves with your parents and your siblings if they prefer disbelief to belief. Whoever of you allies himself with them-these are the wrongdoers.
24. Say, “If your parents, and your children, and your siblings, and your spouses, and your relatives, and the wealth you have acquired, and a business you worry about, and homes you love, are more dear to you than God, and His Messenger, and the struggle in His cause, then wait until God executes His judgment.” God does not guide the sinful people.
25. God has given you victory in numerous regions; but on the day of Hunayn, your great number impressed you, but it availed you nothing; and the land, as spacious as it was, narrowed for you; and you turned your backs in retreat.
26. Then God sent down His serenity upon His Messenger, and upon the believers; and He sent down troops you did not see; and He punished those who disbelieved. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.
27. Then, after that, God will relent towards whomever He wills. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
28. O you who believe! The polytheists are polluted, so let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year of theirs. And if you fear poverty, God will enrich you from His grace, if He wills. God is Aware and Wise.
29. Fight those who do not believe in God, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, nor abide by the religion of truth-from among those who received the Scripture-until they pay the due tax, willingly or unwillingly.
30. The Jews said, “Ezra is the son of God,” and the Christians said, “The Messiah is the son of God.” These are their statements, out of their mouths. They emulate the statements of those who blasphemed before. May God assail them! How deceived they are!
God will reward those who left their homes and immigrated based on faith and trust in the Quran revelations. Line 24 is where Gabriel tells Muhammad to say to the people that they should not worship what their ancestors and family’s worshipped if it was polytheistic in nature. Abraham became God’s chosen messenger when he stood up to his father and did not follow the same religion as he did.
Also Muhammad is told something very deep and meaningful that all humans will have to wake up to. More important than families, friends, wealth, jobs, and children is your love for God and the way you conduct yourself towards His highest goal for mankind. All material and physical connections are a temporary enjoyment, even your physical and emotional relationships you may have here, but in the end this is not what is most important. Gabriel says it beautifully, that God, His messenger (as the teacher) and the struggle in His cause is the most important reason why we were sent down to earth.
Adam was sent here as a punishment for what he decided to follow. Earth is not necessarily a jail for sinful mankind, but it is a school and you don’t move forwards unless you graduate spiritually.
Line 25 shows the after effect of the battles, the Muslims have won. They have been reinforced with invisible army of angels to help them win. They should understand that this is from God and they need to show their gratitude by living a righteous life that God prescribed.
The sacred mosque, or Kabbah is now to be guarded and not let the polytheists start to worship again there. Muhammad is always told to fight those polytheist leaders who still pose a threat to Islam and do not believe in God. They will only try to force their way of life once again.
Line 30 once again speaks to the paganism that SOME of the Jewish and Christians followed during this time. Remember polytheism was far more popular than monotheism. Jewish elders said Ezra was the son of God, but as we know from the Quran, you can not take the idea that God has a son literally. This makes God become human and a deity like Zeus, which God was trying to get society away from to promote unity. According to wikki, Ezra was a Jewish scribe and a priest of Yahweh. According to the Hebrew Bible he returned from the Babylonian exile and reintroduced the Torah in Jerusalem and so many Jews back then considered him the messiah.
Christians at one point were told to call Jesus literally the son or “sun” of God, like Apollo was to Zeus. Although today Christianity has taken on a more unified approach, back then, pagan worship was prevalent in different branches of Christianity depending on how corrupt the priesthood or leaders of Christianity was.
300 years prior to the Quran revelations, Constantine altered the very religion that Jesus first preached about, in order to fit his desires and control an empire.