10. Their call therein is, “Glory be to You, our God.” And their greeting therein is, “Peace.” And the last of their call is, “Praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds.”
11. If God were to accelerate the ill for the people, as they wish to accelerate the good, their term would have been fulfilled. But We leave those who do not expect Our encounter to blunder in their excesses.
12. Whenever adversity touches the human being, he prays to Us-reclining on his side, or sitting, or standing. But when We have relieved his adversity from him, he goes away, as though he had never called on Us for trouble that had afflicted him. Thus the deeds of the transgressors appear good to them.
13. We destroyed generations before you when they did wrong. Their messengers came to them with clear signs, but they would not believe. Thus We requite the sinful people.
14. Then We made you successors on earth after them, to see how you would behave.
15. And when Our clear revelations are recited to them, those who do not hope to meet Us say, “Bring a Quran other than this, or change it.” Say, “It is not for me to change it of my own accord. I only follow what is revealed to me. I fear, if I disobeyed my Lord, the torment of a terrible Day.”
16. Say, “Had God willed, I would not have recited it to you, and He would not have made it known to you. I have lived among you for a lifetime before it. Do you not understand?”
17. Who does greater wrong than someone who fabricates lies about God, or denies His revelations? The guilty will never prosper.
18. And they worship, besides God, what neither harms them nor benefits them. And they say, “These are our intercessors with God.” Say, “Are you informing God about what He does not know in the heavens or on earth?” Glorified be He, High above the associations they make.
19. Mankind was a single community; then they differed. Were it not for a prior decree from your Lord, the matters over which they had disputed would have been settled.
20. And they say, “If only a miracle was sent down to him from his Lord.” Say, “The realm of the unseen belongs to God; so wait, I am waiting with you.”
Gabriel is telling Muhammad how corrupt the people can really be. If they were to get the punishment faster to them, as they want the rewards- their term of redemption would be over. Perhaps this means that God’s reality is so amazing that people that take one look at the true reality become devout believers. So God actually allows punishment to take a long time to reach someone in order to see what choices they make, and to make the punishment harder while they keep transgressing.
Line 12 is a very sad reality for Muhammad to learn from an angel. Most people only come to God when they are in a bad state, and need strength or help. But once a hardship is over, they forget about God and worship.
Gabriel is telling Muhammad that God will destroy a sinful nation as He has done in the past. But there is mercy to each nation and that is why messengers are brought forth. Who will listen to them determines if someone is good and faithful or not.
After these people were destroyed, Muhammad’s people and the nations that are present at this time become the next to inherit the earth. We must look at it like this: We are given a gift of this earth, and if we show disregard for our creation and cause chaos and destruction-we will eventually be removed and a new creation put in place. This is a true reality. God does not allow evil beings to rule the earth for too long.
Line 15 is to show what happens to Muhammad when he stands in public and recites the Quran revelations. Some demand for a new revelation to be brought about or to alter what is inside of it. Muhammad is told to say to the people it is a grave misdeed to change the words of God and those who do will be punished for it. Muhammad is given the Quran to recite it to them as a mercy, and if God willed, He could have destroyed them without the guidance first. They should always be grateful for a second chance.
Line 18 is very mysterious and to me, knowing what I know about life elsewhere in the universe, I will say this is a clear warning for the people to never worship these beings. God knows every creature and beings in the universe and they are not our creators. They do not have the power to create life as God does, so they should not be worshipped.
Mankind was a single community but God had to divide us and if it were not for the mercy of God, the End judgement would be there already to show how humans argued and bickered together. But God is merciful and this is why we had messengers and books come down to guide us back on path, without God having to destroy us. It is indeed another chance at life and redemption of the soul. Muhammad is to tell the people of Mecca and Medina that right now they are offered a second chance at eternal life. They just need to be patient and trust like Muhammad is.
One of the ancient civilizations that was destroyed for it’s paganism. Mecca was next, Gabriel warns Muhammad.