10. And if We give him a taste of prosperity, after some adversity has afflicted him, he will say, “Troubles have gone away from me.” He becomes excited and proud.
11. Except those who are patient and do good deeds-these will have forgiveness and a great reward.
12. Perhaps you wish to disregard some of what is revealed to you, and you may be stressed because of it, since they say, “If only a treasure was sent down to him, or an angel came with him.” You are only a warner, and God is Responsible for all things.
13. Or do they say, “He invented it?” Say, “Then produce ten chapters like it, invented, and call upon whomever you can, besides God, if you are truthful.”
14. But if they fail to answer you, know that it was revealed with God’s knowledge, and that there is no god but He. Will you then submit?
15. Whoever desires the worldly life and its glitter-We will fully recompense them for their deeds therein, and therein they will not be defrauded.
16. These-they will have nothing but the Fire in the Hereafter. Their deeds are in vain therein, and their works are null.
17. Is he who possesses a clear proof from his Lord, recited by a witness from Him, and before it the Book of Moses, a guide and a mercy? These believe in it. But whoever defies it from among the various factions, the Fire is his promise. So have no doubt about it. It is the truth from your Lord, but most people do not believe.
18. Who does greater wrong than he who fabricates lies about God? These will be presented before their Lord, and the witnesses will say, “These are they who lied about their Lord.” Indeed, the curse of God is upon the wrongdoers.
19. Those who hinder others from the path of God, and seek to make it crooked; and regarding the Hereafter, they are in denial.
20. These will not escape on earth, and they have no protectors besides God. The punishment will be doubled for them. They have failed to hear, and they have failed to see.
Gabriel is telling Muhammad that those who are prideful and haughty are in a slow downward spiral towards the punishment of the afterlife. Those who are patient and kind to others while remembering God, are the ones who will experience rewards of the hereafter.
Line 12 is one of the definite lines where we can see Muhammad was being talked to by a higher being. He is told by Gabriel that God knows the burden the revelations have laid on Muhammad as it has other messengers. Gabriel revisits what some have said to Muhammad at this point. People of Medina and Mecca are doubting Muhammad because of the lack of physical evidence of these revelations. They wish there was some sort of celestial object or an angel to appear in front of them. Instead they get wisdom passed through the mouth of a middle aged man named Muhammad.
This is PROOF that some of the Hadiths that said the Angel Gabriel has been seen by others in the sky is not entirely accurate. Nobody else saw the angel except Muhammad and perhaps he didn’t even physically see this angel, he only heard the voice vibrate through his entire being.
But this is all a test for the people as well as Muhammad. Those with true faith listen to Muhammad with tears in their eyes to the revelations. They know it is the truth and the mercy they have been waiting for. Those with doubt already in their hearts will listen to Muhammad, but not truly be able to understand what he means or where he is coming from and ask to see proof.
Muhammad is commanded at this point to ask these people with doubt while listening to him to produce their own just and morally perfect 10 chapters like this book. They are also asked to call upon their own gods and goddesses and see if they will even be answered with revelations such as this. When they realize they can not, Muhammad is then to ask them the final question if they will submit to God of all things.
For so many who look for just success in this world may receive it, but it is always the more permanent state of our souls that is most important and so Muhammad is to teach the people that a life just chasing glitter and gold will bring emptiness in the hereafter.
There is an idea that the true book from Moses is the real words of God and those who have altered the teachings for their own intentions and purposes will experience a great punishment since it caused so much division and bloodshed, including the blood of many messengers of God.
Everyone is given a chance to not be ignorant about faith and God. I have seen it in my own life and I know there is always that one moment where the nature of God’s existence comes into question in people’s minds. Those that seek to block the path of God for other’s are in the highest place of denial and disbelief and they are the ones who suffer the most karmically to what they have done spiritually to others.
I don’t want to go too far into it on this post, but if you look very closely in our world today you will see several groups of people who just would like to watch the whole world burn and become more isolated from God in thought and spirituality. These are the groups that oppress spirituality and are gaining momentum today in America’s society. I am not sure about other parts of the world, but I can SEE it today. These are the devil’s minions and God will bring justice in the end with punishment doubling because of how many people they have harmed.
“If anyone thinks that Christians regard unchastity as the supreme vice, he is quite wrong. The sins of the flesh are bad, but they are the least bad of all sins. All the worst pleasures are purely spiritual: the pleasure of putting other people in the wrong, of bossing and patronising and spoiling sport, and backbiting; the pleasures of power, of hatred. For there are two things inside me, competing with the human self which I must try to become. They are the Animal self, and the Diabolical self. The Diabolical self is the worse of the two. That is why a cold, self-righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it is better to be neither.”
16th century drawing of Muhammad in the cave with Gabriel. Notice how Muhammad is not looking at the being next to him? He can not see Gabriel he only feels his words…