70. Some enjoyment in this world; then to Us is their return; then We will make them taste the severe punishment on account of their disbelief.
71. And relate to them the story of Noah, when he said to his people, “O my people, if my presence among you and my reminding you of God’s signs is too much for you, then in God I have put my trust. So come to a decision, you and your partners, and do not let the matter perplex you; then carry out your decision on me, and do not hold back.”
72. “But if you turn away, I have not asked you for any wage. My wage falls only on God, and I was commanded to be of those who submit.”
73. But they denounced him, so We saved him and those with him in the Ark, and We made them successors, and We drowned those who rejected Our signs. So consider the fate of those who were warned.
74. Then, after him, We sent messengers to their people. They came to them with the clear proofs, but they would not believe in anything they had already rejected. Thus We set a seal on the hearts of the hostile.
75. Then, after them, We sent Moses and Aaron with Our proofs to Pharaoh and his dignitaries. But they acted arrogantly. They were sinful people.
76. And when the truth came to them from Us, they said, “This is clearly sorcery.”
77. Moses said, “Is this what you say of the truth when it has come to you? Is this sorcery? Sorcerers do not succeed.”
78. They said, “Did you come to us to divert us from what we found our ancestors following, and so that you become prominent in the land? We will never believe in you.”
79. Pharaoh said, “Bring me every experienced sorcerer.”
80. And when the sorcerers came, Moses said to them, “Throw whatever you have to throw.”
Here Muhammad is given insight into what happened in the past. Noah was a messenger of God and was trying to warn the people to repent and start living life right. They mocked and ridiculed him and did not take heed of the warnings. So God drowned them all to create a new creation and begin again, so that life can move forwards.
The story of Moses Muhammad is being told so that he may tell the people of the great odds that Moses had to go against with the Pharaoh and his “magicians”. Moses was given the power of God to show the proof in his staff that there is a power that is greater than magic or illusion of power.
And in knowing this, Moses had no fear.