80. He said, “If only I had the strength to stop you, or could rely on some strong support.”
81. They said, “O Lot, we are the envoys of your Lord; they will not reach you. So set out with your family during the cover of the night, and let none of you look back, except for your wife. She will be struck by what will strike them. Their appointed time is the morning. Is not the morning near?”
82. And when Our command came about, We turned it upside down, and We rained down on it stones of baked clay.
83. Marked from your Lord, and never far from the wrongdoers.
84. And to Median, their brother Shuaib. He said, “O my people, worship God; you have no god other than Him. And do not short measure or short weight. I see you in good circumstances, but I fear for you the agony of an encompassing Day.”
85. “O my people! Give full measure and full weight, in all fairness, and do not cheat the people out of their rights, and do not spread corruption in the land.
86. What is left by God is best for you, if you are believers. And I am not a guardian over you.”
87. They said, “O Shuaib, does your prayer command you that we abandon what our ancestors worshiped, or doing with our wealth what we want? You are the one who is intelligent and wise.”
88. He said, “O my people, have you considered? What if I have clear evidence from my Lord, and He has given me good livelihood from Himself? I have no desire to do what I forbid you from doing. I desire nothing but reform, as far as I can. My success lies only with God. In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.”
89. “O my people, let not your hostility towards me cause you to suffer what was suffered by the people of Noah, or the people of Hud, or the people of Saleh. The people of Lot are not far away from you.”
90. “And ask your Lord for forgiveness, and repent to Him. My Lord is Merciful and Loving.”
Gabriel is told that although the people of Lot were destroyed, Lot and Abraham and his family were saved by the angels. There is an indication there was some sort of fight and the men protected them while Lot and his family ran away from the city. His family came with, except for his wife who was told to stay back because of some secret they must have known about her. I have a theory that Lot’s wife was also immoral and part of the people of Lot’s sinfulness.
It says the town was rained on by baked stones, which to me mean stones on fire-meteorite showers. So this is how these town was destroyed. God uses laws of nature to rebalance things in the world and universe it seems.
Muhammad is told of another civilization with a messenger named Shuaib. Shuaib was chosen to be the messenger of Median and he felt something was coming. He was correct on his intuition. The people were living in sin, and there were hardly any good people left in this town. When God sent them a good messenger, they asked him about the abandonment of what their ancestors worshipped and the wealth they desired.
He told them about the civilizations that were not far from that one and how they all disappeared because of the wrath of God. He felt something deep within, that their nation was next if they did not change their ways. Shuaib told them not to have hostility towards him as a messenger only and that they should be wise to heed his warnings because it has happened before to other nations not too far from them.
Shuiab asked for the people to seek forgiveness of the One true Lord and to repent.
Ancient pagan Median was in today’s Persia