In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.
1. Alif, Lam, Ra. These are the Verses of the Clear Book.
2. We have revealed it an Arabic Quran, so that you may understand.
3. We narrate to you the most accurate history, by revealing to you this Quran. Although, prior to it, you were of the unaware.
4. When Joseph said to his father, “O my father, I saw eleven- planets, and the sun, and the moon; I saw them bowing down to me.”
5. He said, “O my son, do not relate your vision to your brothers, lest they plot and scheme against you. Satan is man’s sworn enemy.
6. And thus your Lord will choose you, and will teach you the interpretation of events, and will complete His blessing upon you and upon the family of Jacob, as He has completed it before upon your forefathers Abraham and Isaac. Your Lord is Knowing and Wise.
7. In Joseph and his brothers are lessons for the seekers.
8. When they said, “Joseph and his brother are dearer to our father than we are, although we are a whole group. Our father is obviously in the wrong.
9. “Kill Joseph, or throw him somewhere in the land, and your father’s attention will be yours. Afterwards, you will be decent people.”
10. One of them said, “Do not kill Joseph, but throw him into the bottom of the well; some caravan may pick him up-if you must do something.”
Alif, Lam, Ra, once again appear and the way I see these words are by sounds these words make in order to produce some type of opening of the mind. Whatever these words or letters are, they hold a meaning to the angels and Muhammad, but is for us to see how this book was guidance from an inhuman source.
Here Gabriel is saying that the Quran has been revealed to Muhammad in Arabic so that he may understand. It does not mean you need to be an Arab to be a Muslim, it means this is the language that Muhammad the chosen messenger spoke, and so this is the language that the revelations needed to come in, in order for Muhammad to understand.
Line 3 is proof that the Quran comes from an outside source, that is not Muhammad, since it is about the revealing of history by ways that Muhammad could not know because he was never alive at the time of these events.
It starts out with talking about Joseph’s dream about 11 celestial bodies bowing down to him (9 planet, sun and the moon). But Jacob told Joseph to keep this dream to himself and allow God to show him the true meaning of the dream, so not to make the brothers more envious of him.
Line 7 is a wise thought passed down to Muhammad to then relate to everyone else, the story of Joseph and his brothers is a moral lesson for all those who sincerely seek God with their hearts.
Here we can start to see the plot on Joseph’s life and his younger brother’s. The other brothers saw that Jacob paid more attention to Joseph and wanted to get rid of Joseph once and for all so that they be the center of their father’s attention. They decide against killing him directly and instead throw him down a well, hoping a caravan could pick him up and take him away into slavery.
An artist’s rendition of Joseph dreaming.