50. The king said, “Bring him to me.” And when the envoy came to him, he said, “Go back to your master, and ask him about the intentions of the women who cut their hands; my Lord is well aware of their schemes.”
51. He said, “What was the matter with you, women, when you tried to seduce Joseph?” They said, “God forbid! We knew of no evil committed by him.” The governor’s wife then said, “Now the truth is out. It was I who tried to seduce him, and he is telling the truth.”
52. “This is that he may know that I did not betray him in secret, and that God does not guide the scheming of the betrayers.”
53. “Yet I do not claim to be innocent. The soul commands evil, except those on whom my Lord has mercy. Truly my Lord is Forgiving and Merciful.”
54. The king said, “Bring him to me, and I will reserve him for myself.” And when he spoke to him, he said, “This day you are with us established and secure.”
55. He said, “Put me in charge of the storehouses of the land; I am honest and knowledgeable.”
56. And thus We established Joseph in the land, to live therein wherever he wished. We touch with Our mercy whomever We will, and We never waste the reward of the righteous.
57. But the reward of the Hereafter is better for those who believe and observed piety.
58. And Joseph’s brothers came, and entered into his presence. He recognized them, but they did not recognize him.
59. When he provided them with their provisions, he said, “Bring me a brother of yours from your father. Do you not see that I fill up the measure, and I am the best of hosts?”
60. “But if you do not bring him to me, you will have no measure from me, and you will not come near me.”
Joseph has been locked away in a prison for crimes he did not commit. However, rumors of his dream interpretation skills have gotten out to the King and he asked for Joseph to help him. Joseph sent a messenger back to the King telling him to first ask the women who tried to seduce Joseph about the truth.
The governor’s wife did finally admit her wrongs and she seemed to have had her own repentance take place within her heart from her lines at 51-53, where she speaks about how she knows her soul did wrong and followed her desires, but she understands now God to be a Merciful God. And as we learn in so many stories inside the Quran, the lies always come out of hiding eventually.
The King then decided to speak to Joseph and decide for himself who was this young man he has heard so much about. He met Joseph and Joseph offered his services to keep charge of the food storehouses in the land based on his honorability.
Line 56, then switches from Story telling mode, to then bringing Muhammad the clear message from God that whomever does good for God will be rewarded by living a comfortable life. This is what it means to be both rewarded in this life, as well as the next one.
Joseph became established in the land of Egypt in charge of and one day his brothers came to him pleading about food that they needed to survive. Joseph tested his brothers to see if they had some ounce of integrity and didn’t kill his younger brother, in his absence for so long. He asked them to bring the brother not in presence to him to meet. This brother was Joseph’s younger brother was dear to Joseph because he was born from the same mother. Joseph is tested the band of brothers to see how far they have gone in their jealousy.
Joseph speaking with his brothers and offering food on one condition