70. Then, when he provided them with their provisions, he placed the drinking-cup in his brother’s saddlebag. Then an announcer called out, “O people of the caravan, you are thieves.”
71. They said, as they came towards them, “What are you missing?”
72. They said, “We are missing the king’s goblet. Whoever brings it will have a camel-load; and I personally guarantee it.”
73. They said, “By God, you know we did not come to cause trouble in the land, and we are not thieves.”
74. They said, “What shall be his punishment, if you are lying?”
75. They said, “His punishment, if it is found in his bag: he will belong to you. Thus we penalize the guilty.”
76. So he began with their bags, before his brother’s bag. Then he pulled it out of his brother’s bag. Thus We devised a plan for Joseph; he could not have detained his brother under the king’s law, unless God so willed. We elevate by degrees whomever We will; and above every person of knowledge, there is one more learned.
77. They said, “If he has stolen, a brother of his has stolen before.” But Joseph kept it to himself, and did not reveal it to them. He said, “You are in a worse situation, and God is Aware of what you allege.”
78. They said, “O noble prince, he has a father, a very old man, so take one of us in his place. We see that you are a good person.”
79. He said, “God forbid that we should arrest anyone except him in whose possession we found our property; for then we would be unjust.”
80. And when they despaired of him, they conferred privately. Their eldest said, “Don’t you know that your father received a pledge from you before God, and in the past you failed with regard to Joseph? I will not leave this land until my father permits me, or God decides for me; for He is the Best of Deciders.”
Joseph’s plan unfolds where it is soon discovered in the youngest brother’s bag a stolen golden cup. He pretends to be upset and ready to arrest the brother while watching and observing the older brothers plead for their brother’s lives.
Line 76 is where Gabriel speaks about how God created the synchronicity of events where he could not imprison his brother under the King’s law. It was not the Will of God for his youngest brother to be imprisoned.It was only the Will of God to teach a lesson that could be told centuries later.
It also comes into awareness that while Joseph was gone, some of his brothers have grown and matured a bit spiritually. The one who states that he will not leave their younger brother alone to be arrested in Egypt is one who has put his trust in God and followed his heart allowing God to show the new way of being.