In the name of God, the Gracious, the Merciful.
1. Alif, Lam, Ra. A Scripture that We revealed to you, that you may bring humanity from darkness to light—with the permission of their Lord—to the path of the Almighty, the Praiseworthy.
2. God—to whom belongs what is in the heavens and the earth. And woe to the disbelievers from a severe torment.
3. Those who prefer the present life to the Hereafter, and repel from the path of God, and seek to make it crooked—these are far astray.
4. We never sent any messenger except in the language of his people, to make things clear for them. God leads astray whom He wills, and guides whom He wills. He is the Mighty, the Wise.
5. We sent Moses with Our signs: “Bring your people out of darkness into light, and remind them of the Days of God.” In that are signs for every patient and thankful person.”
6. Moses said to his people, “Remember God’s blessings upon you, as He delivered you from the people of Pharaoh, who inflicted on you terrible suffering, slaughtering your sons while sparing your daughters. In that was a serious trial from your Lord.”
7. And when your Lord proclaimed: “If you give thanks, I will grant you increase; but if you are ungrateful, My punishment is severe.”
8. And Moses said, “Even if you are ungrateful, together with everyone on earth—God is in no need, Worthy of Praise.”
9. Has not the story reached you, of those before you, the people of Noah, and Aad, and Thamood—and those after them? None knows them except God. Their messengers came to them with the clear proofs, but they tried to silence them, and said, “We reject what you are sent with, and we are in serious doubt regarding what you are calling us to.”
10. Their messengers said, “Is there any doubt about God, Maker of the heavens and the earth? He calls you to forgive you your sins, and to defer you until a stated term.” They said, “You are only humans like us; you want to turn us away from what our ancestors worshiped; so bring us a clear proof.”
Gabriel is giving Muhammad a glimpse into the past, a quick look at all the different messengers used as a medium to share God’s words. These revelations have had no other purpose other than to help humanity advance spiritually, socially, emotionally, and mentally. God did not drop us on this planet hoping we learn without any guidance. There has always been angelic messengers, and human messengers to help human civilization advance.
Muhammad is being told of ancient civilizations that have fallen and been destroyed, because they showed themselves to be a people without faith or Reason. They have been destroyed by natural events, and a new civilization in its place. This is the path of Creation. The moment a species that stops being productive and progressive in thinking and spiritual nature will eventually die out. Possibly if they see only life as being born, living to accumulate things, and then death, then they can not survive very long. The drive for spiritual attainment is what keeps a civilization going..changing and evolving to live long years into the future.
These are the warnings given to Muhammad to tell Mecca which has grown into a big civilization that has reached their limits of spiritual understanding. Muhammad was the catalyst for their change, just as all nations had a catalyst.