30. And they set up rivals to God, in order to lead away from His path. Say, “Enjoy yourselves; your destination is the Fire.”
31. Tell My servants who have believed to perform the prayers, and to give from what We have given them, secretly and publicly, before a Day comes in which there is neither trading nor friendship.
32. God is He Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down water from the sky, and with it produces fruits for your sustenance. And He committed the ships to your service, sailing through the sea by His command, and He committed the rivers to your service.
33. And He committed the sun and the moon to your service, both continuously pursuing their courses, and He committed the night and the day to your service.
34. And He has given you something of all what you asked. And if you were to count God’s blessings, you would not be able to enumerate them. The human being is unfair and ungrateful.
35. Recall that Abraham said, “O my Lord, make this land peaceful, and keep me and my sons from worshiping idols.”
36. “My Lord, they have led many people astray. Whoever follows me belongs with me; and whoever disobeys me—You are Forgiving and Merciful.
37. “Our Lord, I have settled some of my offspring in a valley of no vegetation, by Your Sacred House, our Lord, so that they may perform the prayers. So make the hearts of some people incline towards them, and provide them with fruits, that they may be thankful.”
38. “Our Lord, You know what we conceal and what we reveal. And nothing is hidden from God, on earth or in the heaven.”
39. “Praise be to God, Who has given me, in my old age, Ishmael and Isaac. My Lord is the Hearer of Prayers.”
40. “My Lord, make me one who performs the prayer, and from my offspring. Our Lord, accept my supplication.”
We must always see the Quran in the context of human history. During this time, Muhammad is receiving the message about those of the past pagan civilizations and the one that he is removing himself from at that time.
We do know from history that gods and goddesses were set up to rival one another. And here we see Allah sending the messages down that only ONE God exists. Allah is WHOLE and ONENESS and does not represent division at all. In splitting the god consciousness up as religious leaders, it will not help or guide the people to the truth, and for THAT great misdeed, the consequence is great for those souls in the afterlife.
The next lines discuss how Allah is responsible as the Creator energy to set up the laws of nature and the universal order of a life sustaining unit.
Line 34, Archangel Gabriel is telling Muhammad that He (Allah) has given all these things (nature and a full self sustaining world) to humanity, and yet some humans remain ungrateful. How true is that. Sometimes, people only see the bad in their life and they often times fail to see all the beauty and wondrous experiences that surround them. This life is a gift, and one of the things we are told through these messages is to appreciate this life fully.
Line 35, Muhammad is given a glimpse back into time by his vision from Gabriel showing him how Abraham was chosen out of his civilization, and remained devoted developing a following for ONE God. Abraham prays to God to continue to guide him and his sons, Ishmael and Issac.