90. And they said, “We will not believe in you unless you make a spring burst from the ground for us.
91. Or you have a garden of palms and vines; then cause rivers to gush pouring through them.
92. Or make the sky fall on us in pieces, as you claim, or bring God and the angels before us.
93. Or you possess a house of gold. Or you ascend into the sky. Even then, we will not believe in your ascension, unless you bring down for us a book that we can read.” Say, “Glory be to my Lord. Am I anything but a human messenger?”
94. Nothing prevented the people from believing, when guidance has come to them, except that they said, “Did God send a human messenger?”
95. Say, “If there were angels on earth, walking around in peace, We would have sent down to them from heaven an angel messenger.”
96. Say, “God is enough witness between you and me. He is fully aware of His servants, and He sees them well.”
97. Whomever God guides is the guided one. And whomever He leaves astray—for them you will find no protectors apart from Him. And We will gather them on the Day of Resurrection, on their faces, blind, dumb, and deaf. Their abode is Hell; whenever it abates, We intensify the blaze for them.
98. This is their repayment for having blasphemed against Our revelations, and having said, “Shall we, when we have become bones and fragments, be resurrected as a new creation?”
99. Do they not consider that God, Who created the heavens and the earth, is Able to create the likes of them? He has assigned for them a term, in which there is no doubt. But the wrongdoers persist in denying the truth.
100. Say, “If you possessed the treasuries of my Lord’s mercy, you would have withheld them for fear of spending.” The human being has always been stingy.
Here Muhammad is being told that indeed the people of his nation will be testing him to see how “powerful” he is. Muhammad is to tell them, he is only a human messenger and not an Angel. An Angel would only be sent to earth when humanity reached the level of awareness that it would not harm or destroy the Angel in its quest to understand it. Think about the way the government is supposed to have aliens in their Area 51, and how they dissect and pull the aliens apart in movies and stories ALWAYS. I get so angry at the audacity for humans to treat another form of life in this way when they are trying to discover more about it. This is why Allah will not send down an Angel in its true form until humanity learns to contain itself to destroy things they fear or do not understand. For now, Angels remain hidden under the veil of looking like humans or other energies all together that can not be quantified with instruments.
Muhammad is always going to be questioned by the people he is bringing this information to. Especially about the Resurrection and the idea that Life continues on after death. It seems many of the leaders of Mecca were materialists. They wanted to receive blessing from their gods, but they did not believe in the continuation of life after death and thought nothing of consequences to their actions. So Muhammad is the one chosen to tell them and reach out to the people.
Muhammad in the last verse is supposed to chastise the human population a bit calling them “stingy” which really means a fearful nature to part with material and monetary assets they have acquired. But the strong Message Muhammad is supposed to give them is to tell them, that when they let go of their stinginess and fear, they gain everything in return.