40. Until, when Our command came, and the volcano erupted, We said, “Board into it a pair of every kind, and your family-except those against whom the sentence has already been passed-and those who have believed.” But those who believed with him were only a few.
41. He said, “Embark in it. In the name of God shall be its sailing and its anchorage. My Lord is indeed Forgiving and Merciful.”
42. And so it sailed with them amidst waves like hills. And Noah called to his son, who had kept away, “O my son! Embark with us, and do not be with the disbelievers.”
43. He said, “I will take refuge on a mountain-it will protect me from the water.” He said, “There is no protection from God’s decree today, except for him on whom He has mercy.” And the waves surged between them, and he was among the drowned.
44. And it was said, “O earth, swallow your waters,” and “O heaven, clear up.” And the waters receded, and the event was concluded, and it settled on Judi, and it was proclaimed: “Away with the wicked people.”
45. And Noah called to his Lord. He said, “O My Lord, my son is of my family, and Your promise is true, and You are the Wisest of the wise.”
46. He said, “O Noah, he is not of your family. It is an unrighteous deed. So do not ask Me about something you know nothing about. I admonish you, lest you be one of the ignorant.”
47. He said, “O My Lord, I seek refuge with You, from asking You about what I have no knowledge of. Unless You forgive me, and have mercy on me, I will be one of the losers.”
48. It was said, “O Noah, disembark with peace from Us; and with blessings upon you, and upon communities from those with you. And other communities We will grant prosperity, and then a painful torment from Us will befall them.”
49. These are some stories from the past that we reveal to you. Neither you, nor your people knew them before this. So be patient. The future belongs to the pious.
50. And to Aad, their brother Hud. He said, “O my people, worship God, you have no other god besides Him. You do nothing but invent lies.”
Gabriel is retelling of the account of the great flood where Noah built his Ark guided by God. After the underwater volcano erupted filling the land with water where Noah was living, he realized that his son was still out there. His son called to him and said he will take cover on a mountain. Noah knew that his son would not survive the event and that God’s promise to wipe that whole area away was made.
Eventually the water receded and the skies cleared up. The Ark is said to have settled on Mount Judi where it was proclaimed to be a new start for Noah and the people who believed. the wicked people have been washed away.
But Noah called out to God and asked for his son, but God told him that his son was one of the wicked and He knew something of Noah’s son’s soul that caused him to be part of the wicked people and not part of his bloodline in terms of being a righteous believer. So Noah realized that once again God had a Plan that he could not know, but must play an important role in and asked God for Mercy.
Line 48, it is hard to know, but I believe this line is actually saying that there were other people already living around Mount Judi that he could build a new community with. It is hard to believe at this time that Noah and a few people on the ark were the only ones left, but in this line it does not say. And really it is not important. What is important is to understand that while there was destruction, there was always a chance at a new beginning for mankind.
The communities that Noah helped foster through faith and good will, prospered spiritually. The communities that were fostered on worship of other gods or men, prospered physically, but eventually they were destroyed and did not live on.
Line 49 is where then Gabriel brings Muhammad back to the present time to explain that a place like Mecca that is living with its gold and luxury will be destroyed soon if they do not comply with living right. Child sacrifice and other immorality being done in worship and in not, will be punished eventually if they do not learn from these revelations. The future belongs to the pious. Just as the Bible brings forth that the meek shall inherit the earth, it means those who are humble and good will get what they deserve in the end because God is good.
Line 50, will bring Muhammad into the story of an ancient people called Aad, and their messenger of the nation called Hud.
Amazingly this photo is of Mount Judi and many scholars and archeologists today claim that this 515ft long crater is once where the ark laid after the waters receded. Sure looks like it to me.